Jeffrey

Wet Camera. Questions

I have a camera that got wet at my office. I turned it off and opened it up for it to dry out. I now have hooked it back up. But, no picture. I know the camera is probably fried. But, is their anything I can do with it? Repair? I'm open to suggestions!

Jeffrey

Most electronics are washed in water during manufacture to clean off soldering/fluxing solvents, so a little water will not hurt modern circuit boards. Years ago in the 1950's paper capacitors would suck up moisture and fail, but nobody uses them anymore.

The real problem is getting water inside the optical lens assembly. Any water will screw up the optical properties and either make a big blur or total black due to skewing the light rays. Getting an unsealed varifocal lens assembly soaked may take a very long time to dry out via evaporation, due to all the little nooks and crevices.

If it's not pure water in the first place then there's the potential for hard water mineral deposits fogging up the optics when it does finally dry. Sugar water like in soda pop may very well jam the lens mechanism with sticky goop.

I would say that you could try setting a wet camera aside for a couple weeks or months to let it slowly dry out, and try it after a while to see if it works again. It just might turn out fine if allowed to dry long enough.

- Javik

Most likely the camera is no good. I would pick another one up.

I agree with Deluxe, best thing to do would be to simply pick up another camera. Anything specific you're looking for? If you aren't looking to spend a bunch of money I got a few "refurbished" units in my office.

Thanks,

John