sf1964

siamese cable w/power lead

l am updating my existing system from 4 to 16 channel so l have 4 additional cameras for now which are 4 flexidomes by bosch and a 2 panasonics 924a and maybe 2 outdoor domes.l have existing hookups to 4 cameras w/siamese cable with power lead.My question is what is my best way to hookup additional cameras as they have only the 2 screws connection and if i was to replace some of my existing cameras with better quality is there anyway to use the existing wire ie cut the end lead and connect to terminals of new camera??l have bought a roll of 500ft of rg59 powered cable and bnc connectors and was thinking about a power supply but l want to know if l can combine everything in a powersupply and use also my siamese cable,and get rid of the bricks that l plug in?

any suggestions much appreciated.

Yes.

At the Camera end:

Just connect the power to the 2 terminals on the camera, and the RG59 to the BNC. You can just split the cable where it comes to the camera, so the power and RG59 is then seperate. I normally split it in the drop ceiling if there is one, so it is loose time as it reaches the camera.

At The DVR/Power End:

Once again split the cable at a common point, the power will then goto the Multiple Power Supply, the RG59 to the DVR. Then use Tie Straps to make it neat.

Its so much easier actually than using Domes/Bullets and Splicing Wires or using Terminal Strips. This way the power and RG59 is direct without any junctions.

Rory

what about the existing leads l have with my plug and play cheaper cameras,they have a power connector that plugs to the connector on the wire.Is it the same rating of wire so if l do cut the lead off l will have two wires to connect to my better camera.Am l thinking the right way or should l run completely new cable,it seems a shame to run wire again where l have existing.!!

Depends on the camera. It should be okay, see what the power rating for the cheap and the new cameras are. What type and length of wire do you have run from the original cameras for power right now?

For the cheaper cameras they usually have a yellow lead for video, red for positive, and black for negative. You can splice the red on the camera lead to the red on your siamese cable, combine all black leads into black on siamese cable, and then run yellow lead to center conductor on RG59 and ground on camera lead to braid on RG59.

Another little tip with the power leads at the DVR end. I usually remove the covering back about three feet on the sieamese cable. If you stick the red and black leads into a drill and keep a little tension on the cable you can spin the black and red conductors into a cool looking twisted cable that is easier to route and manage.

Once we are taking about Domes or Bullets; Domes and Bullets normally come with a short cable lead from the camera to a connection point.

If I cant get the connections inside a ceiling or attic, then I just use a regular sized weatherproof electric gang box and make all connections in there; Power and BNC Connection can normally fit in one of them with ease. I also seal up all cracks or holes with clear caulking (most of the time).

For the cheaper cameras they usually have a yellow lead for video, red for positive, and black for negative. You can splice the red on the camera lead to the red on your siamese cable, combine all black leads into black on siamese cable, and then run yellow lead to center conductor on RG59 and ground on camera lead to braid on RG59.

Another little tip with the power leads at the DVR end. I usually remove the covering back about three feet on the sieamese cable. If you stick the red and black leads into a drill and keep a little tension on the cable you can spin the black and red conductors into a cool looking twisted cable that is easier to route and manage.

I think he is meaning connecting new cameras where the existing wire is for the original cheap cameras.

I dont recommend splicing unless there is no alternative, especially onto RG59. Also, problem with the twisted cable technique, (not to mention damaging the wire) is you see a red and black wire going to the camera, while the Siamese Cable I use, have a seperate inner insulation for the power and the RG59, so the white cable for power goes direct to the camera, then splits the red & black at the very last point, so no red/black wire can be seen from below.

That said, I have spliced onto RG59 myself before, there was no alternative.

Edited by Guest

thanks for the tips .l think l am going to run all new cable as l think l am going to keep just one of my old cameras, however what do you do with outdoor connections (silicone?)

less than 75 feet, unsure of the rating as it was called siamese cable with power lead.

The original cable is Siamese cable also?

If your existing cable is also Siamese Cable, then you can use the same cable for power and video.

Rory

thanks for the tips .l think l am going to run all new cable as l think l am going to keep just one of my old cameras, however what do you do with outdoor connections (silicone?)

How do you mean?

Never leave a connection exposed if that is what you mean ...silicone wont help , it needs to be sealed in a box like a weatherproof electric gang box, or something that is sealed properly.

existing is powered cable with power connector, l dont know if is the same as rg59 with power (no power connector)

is it all Siamese Cable or is it RG59 and then seperate Power Cable? Or is it one long lead that came with the cameras??

if that is what it is like, then yes run new RG59 Siamese Cable, power part is probably okay, but that video cable is just way too thin for my liking, Id imagine there must be a large loss of video quality than if using RG59.

its not the same as the link it has fittings on the end.l think we are talking about the same thing however the wire l have is flatter,and has power fitting and bnc it comes in 25-50-75-100ft lengths

So the video cable is the same kind of thickness as in the link? Basically, if it is not RG59, then run new cable. It will probably work okay, but just to be safe, without knowing the exact size of the power wire, and then the camera power ratings, i would run new wire. Im taking over a jo now that has RG56 cable and we are just running all new Siamese RG59 cable one time, its worth it.

Ofcourse the best would be some Amplified Active NVT Cat5 transceivers! )) $$$ But then I havent come across anyone yet that could afford that, let alone even the better option, and more $$$$$$$$$ Fiber ..

Oh yeah ..... i'd change it! Thats basically the same, basically around the same as just running RCA Cable and Splicing it (or telco wire).... It Would work, probably, at 75', depends on the current draw on the new cameras. If its impossible or hard to run new cables, find out what the draw is of the new cameras then we can figure it out.

Rory

thanks rory l wish l could have rememberd the link earlier lt would have saved us some time.

no prob.

Im even reluctant to run that thin of a wire in my own appt and only 50' ....

but thats me, I want the best quality image as far as the video side goes ...

Power wise it just depends on the camera ..

Rory