QED

Video Analytics

There has been a lot of talk recently in the press about video analytics.

I was wondering what people thought of the available functionality at the moemnt and how it will evolve.

not to sure but i will be installing 2 system in about a month so i can post about them then. from what i have seen it seems like it has a lot of potential

I know of several companies that can do video analytics such as:

motion detection with motion tracking

object detection

zone monitoring

people counting

hotspot analysis

license plate recognition

car counting

Video analytics, can do some very cool things, if set up correctly. I helped write and design software for 2 different VA companies. It takes some getting use to. Patience is the key. Don’t expect the system to do every thing. Expect False Positives. You will be setting for hours watching video. Different times of the day give you different shadows.

Glares off metal and moving objects can throw system off, setting off false alarms.

When setting up a system, use a fixed camera to detect and PTZ to interrogate. There are different types of alarm rules. Video based rules and Map based rules. Each has their own unique problems. Try placing the cameras in an area were there is not so much background movement…Traffic from cars on roads. When placing the camera make sure there is plenty of room for the object to be detected, Target-on-Pixel ratio.

Make sure you have plenty of bandwidth.

Manage your customer’s expectations; VA doesn’t not remove the need for live guard. Just allows the guard to stay better focused.

Hope this helps a little.