millertech

Day night camera not functioning correctly

Have an issue with 5 day/night cameras I recently installed. High res 500+ lines, color by day B&W by night with IR. The issue is after night time is over the DVR shows only the B&W image. You can see that the mechanical IR filter changes when there is enough light in the room/ area. If I quickly remove then reconnect the BNC connector the color comes right up! Its the same with the other four cameras. I tried reseting the DVR, power down the camera power supply and factory reset the cameras programable settings but still have the same issue. Been in the business for over 10 years this is the second time I have experience this sort of situation. the first was on an American Dynamics DVR which needed a re-install of the DVR-OS, four-five years ago. This particular situation seems to be at the cameras.

Any ideas? Impedance on the line? DVR is made to terminate 75 ohm. May have to rip out, send back and get new.

Help is much appreciated.

I have a 12VDC 7 amperes power supply powering all the cameras. Although I did not think of that, good tip. There are 13 cameras on this particular system and those five are the only ones with the issue. Also those cameras are no more than 15 meters away, (15 yards). the others are much farther away. The power cables in the siamese are .75ø or like 18AWG

I did the power calc and I have 2 amperes left over at worse case scenario.

Ill try disconnecting half the load and see what happens? Will have to do it late because it gets dark here around 11:30 PM, Im a New Yorker living in Norway. Got to get the client happy so I can get paid.

Just sucks that those cameras are not functioning right.

I wish I sold an IP cameras based system like Exacq or Omnivision. But of course the customers budget usually chooses the equipment type. After going through much material it seems IP based equipment is the way to go.

doesnt sound like a DVR problem at all. i mean the DVR just takes what the camera feeds it. i think it depends on the brand and you have to look at the camera spec. because i know for a fact the the amp draw increase a bit to light up the IRs. i would have to agree that it sounds like a power issue. i have seen some cameras that the draw can go from 500ma to 1.5 amp draw so i would for sure look at that and if specs dont show it post the brand and model number or call tech support. good luck