kevin_pool

need to upgrade dvr from avtech 760 - uk user

Hi Guys,

First time post here, so please be gentle!

I'm looking for a decent upgrade from a AVtech 760 dvr. Currently have 2 cameras which give an excellent picture when live viewing but blocky when viewing the recorded picture on the 760. I've tried all the settings but had to go back to the VHS/VCR which gives much better recording quality although not as long!

So what would you guys recommend as a decent upgrade dvr? Should i go for one which has h264 compression? which would give me an improvement in recorded picture quality for about $500-600?

Would appreciate any help or advice. Cheers.

Actually, I would like an answer to that question too. I'm quite surprised no-one here has yet offered a reply.

Anyone?

There is no solution for a DVR with better specs, and that price range.

I do not know why your DVR is giving you worse performance when compared to a VCR.

I am wondering if you are using wide angle cameras, and you are suffering from distance distortion rather than a DVR that is heavily pixalated.

Are you recording in frame, or CIF?

There are tradeoffs with many DVR, and in every price range.

You can have excellant video, but the video will appear more of a series of snap shots.

It sound like you a need a $1,500, or higher dollar value DVR to achieve the specs that you are requesting.

If price is of the essence then trying changing cameras to at least a 6mm lens.

What lens are you using as of now, (for both individuals who posted)?

There is no solution for a DVR with better specs, and that price range.

I do not know why your DVR is giving you worse performance when compared to a VCR.

I am wondering if you are using wide angle cameras, and you are suffering from distance distortion rather than a DVR that is heavily pixalated.

Are you recording in frame, or CIF?

There are tradeoffs with many DVR, and in every price range.

You can have excellant video, but the video will appear more of a series of snap shots.

It sound like you a need a $1,500, or higher dollar value DVR to achieve the specs that you are requesting.

If price is of the essence then trying changing cameras to at least a 6mm lens.

What lens are you using as of now, (for both individuals who posted)?

Actually there is a reason you can sometimes see worse image quality with a DVR over a VCR. DVR's, both embedded units and PC based systems are much, much less forgiving of poor signal. There is a quick and dirty test to show if that's the issue. Feed the signal into a VCR/DVD Player/Something with a TV in and out. Take the output and run it to the DVR. If the signal is better, then you're looking at a poor signal.