Thomas

2/3" CCD

Can anyone recomend a good 2/3" camera? I was doing the math and to get what a customer wants they will have to use a larger CCD.

My hangovers only just wearing off Thomas, but I'm still very confused.

I'm not quite sure what you can do with a 2/3" CCD that you can't do with a 1/3rd (slightly heavier paperweight perhaps?).

60 degrees isn't by any stretch of the imagination an extreme wide angle. How much 'width' do they need at 150'?

Hey rory, you don't have to use a zoom lens.

If you were looking at a gate from 150' away, a 75mm lens on a 1/3" CCD would virtually fill the screen height with a 6 footer.

My problem may be the bit of software I was using. I found a bit of software for the palm that does the calucations for camera angles. It has some limitations and a user problem (me). The only way I could get it to accept an angle was as a 2/3" CCD.

The tough one was that they wanted 90 degrees, without a fish eye view and with a high amount of detail, with a FoV that was about 200' wide. And I don't have the papers with me but they needed about the same for the 60 degree angle. It could just be that I was half asleep.

With a 1/3" camera at 150' distance,

a 3.7mm (1/2" lens) would cover almost 200 feet width,

whilst a 2.8mm (1/3" lens) would cover around 250' (from memory, this optic provides around 92 degrees horizontal angle of coverage on 1/3").

Incidentally, I still work (in my head) with 2/3" focal lengths because that's what I was brought up on (I had a troubled childhood, kept throwing my lenses out of the pram ).

To relate the coverage to 1/3" format, I generally just multiply by 55%,

so a lens giving 100' width on a 2/3" camera, will give about 55' on a 1/3" CCD.