Viperoni

n00b: can't get *one* line to work

Alrighty, so it's a long story, so I'll try to keep this simple.

I'm using a Qsee 9 channel economy DVR, a QSD6209.

The line I'm trying to get running is about a 130 foot line, it does run parallel to 120vac armoured cable for a total of maybe 5 feet along it's run, and I've run this line 4 TIMES, and I keep on getting a black picture.

Cable A, a dual shield RG6, works fine for another 50 foot run, and in another place I used the same cable in.

Cable B, a quad shield RG6, works fine for a 100 foot digital cable TV run in my home, receives HDTV fine too (HDTV over cable that is).

I've determined that it's not my cable, it's not my crimping (using snap and seal BNC made for RG6, made 2 diff lines besides this stubborn one no problems at all), it's definetly not the cable (after the 4th run and verifying that other cable from the same spools is fine)....

So I'm thinking I'm getting some wierd interference, because there is a BIG cell phone or antenna tower no more than 100 feet away.

All shorter lines seems to work fine, but this long 130 footer doesn't wanna work at all.

The cable is alumium core stuff.

I'm thinking about getting a booster/amplifier of some kind.

Any suggestions guys?

Thanks for your time and reading

I would try it with copper cored rg59 cable instead of aluminium rg6 cable.

If you still get interference you could try cat5e with baluns instead....

What sort of grounding (to earth) arrangement have you got for the cable run?

Is there any reason you'd recommend RG59 over RG6?

The cable is not grounded at all, it just connects to the camera and to the DVR, that's it.

Also, I should say that I tested the last run with "Cable B" before I ran it down the shop, while the cable was unrolled but not installed, and it worked. I made SURE not to kink it, but even "Cable A" in my first post would not have been kinked because the wire is significantly stiffer and pulled off a rotating spool.

Finally, I have 3 of the cameras run with the very thin wire that they come with, it's no more than 1/3rd of the size of the RG6 stuff, and it has the 12v lead siamesed inside of it (still round shape), and it works fine. Those ones are about 60 feet. They work great, even though the wire is so thin.

Are you sure he's using a Aluminum cored cable?

If so then yep, I definitely agree swap to a copper core rg59 and you should be good to go after that I would think. Also for that short of a run, why use RG6?

Thanks,

Are you sure he's using a Aluminum cored cable?

If so then yep, I definitely agree swap to a copper core rg59 and you should be good to go after that I would think. Also for that short of a run, why use RG6?

Thanks,

Yes, I am currently using an aluminum RG6, one dual shield and another quad shield.

I did just pickup a 130ft piece of copper RG59 dual shield cable, copper shield and copper center conductor. It's also a siamesed cable. I'll definetely let you guys know if it works!

Thanks for your suggestions though, I appreciate it!

....Yep. Gotta be the aluminum. It just doesn't conduct well enough and is too susceptible to interference. I honestly don't know of anyone in any industry that's still using it. RG6 would be overkill, though. Great for high freq stuff like CATV but no need in CCTV.

Guys, I ran the copper wire, and it works beautifully!

Even though I have a 115ft run in the neighbouring shop using only double shielded aluminum RG6 that works fine, I guess the shop I was having trouble with the 130ft run has more interference. Or the DVR is pickier.

In any case, it's working fine.

Thanks a lot for your help everyone