tazo

Thoughts on my first install... going the right direction?

Hi, new member here. I have already started to post some specific questions in other sections of this forum. But after I got this response from forum member Kiwi in the Introductions section, I figured this would be a good time to get some feedback whether my CCTV fundamentals are correct.

From Kiwi:

Hi, and welcome. I assume you are referring to a Mac being used for viewing a remote image server or DVR. If you also intend to use it as an image server, DVR, or network video recorder, then you might be breaking new ground!

First of all, I am a Mac user. I know that a platform that only has 10% market share only has 10% of the software and hardware options available. Nothing against the PC but I would like to stay single platform on my network.

Second, while I have done some CCTV research related to my work projects (architect), this is my first install, and it is for my home.

So I originally figured that I would get four IP cameras and plug them into my home network and record to my computer (Mac Mini 1.83 Ghz Intel Core Duo). I did some research and found SecuritySpy, (securityspy. com) which is a viewing/recording application.

After doing a bit more research on this forum, I'm starting to think that it might be good to not tax my home computer. So instead of constantly processing four cameras, I'd get a DVR to do the dirty work and either use remote viewing (which requires a Java based DVR) or the DVR's client software or 3rd party software, as I understand it.

So, just so I stay on the right track, does this sound like I'm going in the right direction or should I stay small and just use my computer as a DVR. I suppose I could start with the computer for now and upgrade to the DVR (or network DVR?) when necessary.

Oh yeah, I was originally planning on using SecuritySpy's automatic FTP uploading feature to safeguard the images/video, but if I use a DVR then it could be located in the garage or someplace remote. Also, my rough budget is $1000-$1250 on cameras and extra on a DVR and related accessories.

Thoughts?

Hi, new member here. I have already started to post some specific questions in other sections of this forum. But after I got this response from forum member Kiwi in the Introductions section, I figured this would be a good time to get some feedback whether my CCTV fundamentals are correct.

From Kiwi:

Hi, and welcome. I assume you are referring to a Mac being used for viewing a remote image server or DVR. If you also intend to use it as an image server, DVR, or network video recorder, then you might be breaking new ground!

First of all, I am a Mac user. I know that a platform that only has 10% market share only has 10% of the software and hardware options available. Nothing against the PC but I would like to stay single platform on my network.

Second, while I have done some CCTV research related to my work projects (architect), this is my first install, and it is for my home.

So I originally figured that I would get four IP cameras and plug them into my home network and record to my computer (Mac Mini 1.83 Ghz Intel Core Duo). I did some research and found SecuritySpy, (securityspy. com) which is a viewing/recording application.

After doing a bit more research on this forum, I'm starting to think that it might be good to not tax my home computer. So instead of constantly processing four cameras, I'd get a DVR to do the dirty work and either use remote viewing (which requires a Java based DVR) or the DVR's client software or 3rd party software, as I understand it.

So, just so I stay on the right track, does this sound like I'm going in the right direction or should I stay small and just use my computer as a DVR. I suppose I could start with the computer for now and upgrade to the DVR (or network DVR?) when necessary.

Oh yeah, I was originally planning on using SecuritySpy's automatic FTP uploading feature to safeguard the images/video, but if I use a DVR then it could be located in the garage or someplace remote. Also, my rough budget is $1000-$1250 on cameras and extra on a DVR and related accessories.

Thoughts?

Pleas upgrade to a real computer, after that come back and leaf the toys @thome.

That software looks OK (and it's relatively inexpensive) so there is no reason why you could not start with one computer and see how it goes. IP cameras give you plenty of flexibility for future changes too.

Not a Mac guy but it sounds like you're going down the right path. Keep it separate and use IP cams. Just be sure to use switches to keep traffic to a minimum on the rest on the network. Most IP cams will let you throttle bandwidth and setup motion detection, too. That Arecont does get a nice picture for the price.

...Just build a DVR with lots'o'storage and a DVD-RW for backing up the good stuff.

That software looks OK (and it's relatively inexpensive) so there is no reason why you could not start with one computer and see how it goes. IP cameras give you plenty of flexibility for future changes too.

Thanks for the input. The software has all of the functions I need, but I'm not sure if it can control a DVR. I am going to email the company regarding this. I may have to get different software if I add a DVR to the mix.

Not a Mac guy but it sounds like you're going down the right path. Keep it separate and use IP cams. Just be sure to use switches to keep traffic to a minimum on the rest on the network. Most IP cams will let you throttle bandwidth and setup motion detection, too. That Arecont does get a nice picture for the price.

...Just build a DVR with lots'o'storage and a DVD-RW for backing up the good stuff.

Yes, I will be using IP cams throughout. The use of switches instead of hubs is a good point; another member set me straight regarding this in another post. I would like the DVR to FTP the good stuff off site if possible; the software I mentioned above does have a FTP function, if I go the computer recording route. Right now I am trying to select cameras and determine bandwidth.

So I scored two free analog cameras plus a Pelco exterior housing:

Panasonic WV CP224, color

330 Lines of resolution

1/3" CCD, 1.1 LUX

Tamron 1/3", 2.8-12mm, 1:1.4, auto iris, aspherical lens

No name camera model FC-62B (Chugai/Konica?)

Black and White

380 Lines of resolution

1/3" CCD, 0.3 lux (F1.2)

No name 4mm, 1:1.4 CS mount, manual lens

I was originally going to go with an all IP network camera system. So, is intermixing analog and digital cameras a good idea?

I was thinking of a quad processor, but the reduction in resolution would be a problem.

Is there an inexpensive stand-alone device to digitize video from the two analogue cameras and make it available over the network? My current system setup is using my computer as a DVR, and is already up and running. The computer is small, so no PCI slots.

I am starting to believe that even though I have two free analog cameras, the cost to integrate them into my system would have bought me two IP cameras. Plus, I could sell these and add more $ to my budget for cameras.

So I scored two free analog cameras plus a Pelco exterior housing:

Panasonic WV CP224, color

330 Lines of resolution

1/3" CCD, 1.1 LUX

Tamron 1/3", 2.8-12mm, 1:1.4, auto iris, aspherical lens

No name camera model FC-62B (Chugai/Konica?)

Black and White

380 Lines of resolution

1/3" CCD, 0.3 lux (F1.2)

No name 4mm, 1:1.4 CS mount, manual lens

I was originally going to go with an all IP network camera system. So, is intermixing analog and digital cameras a good idea?

I was thinking of a quad processor, but the reduction in resolution would be a problem.

Is there an inexpensive stand-alone device to digitize video from the two analogue cameras and make it available over the network? My current system setup is using my computer as a DVR, and is already up and running. The computer is small, so no PCI slots.

I am starting to believe that even though I have two free analog cameras, the cost to integrate them into my system would have bought me two IP cameras. Plus, I could sell these and add more $ to my budget for cameras.

There are video encoder options you can use. Axis makes the 241Q which would support both cameras and in essence turn them into IP Cameras.

There are video encoder options you can use. Axis makes the 241Q which would support both cameras and in essence turn them into IP Cameras.

True, but unless I'm mistaken, the Axis 241Q runs between $600-$700. At that price I might as well sell the free analog cameras and purchase IP cameras that would talk native to the rest of my network.

I believe I would have to find a less expensive encoder to make those free cameras worth while.