hey guys, i am new to this forum so dont pick on the rookie. I am starting a security system business in the usa where i will install pc dvr based systems in retail stores and such. I have everything set up except for one thing. dvr card. I've tried kodicom 4400r dvr cards but it doesnt have the ability to send phone alerts through voice modem. do you guys know of any dvr card that is allowed to do that? also, i want to rebrand the software when i give it to my clients. I am going to build the computers myself therefore hoping to give them a lower price than the other companies here. by the way...quick question, is it ok to install the same windows xp (vlk) cd on every system i build? because its ridiculous how you have to pay 300 dollars for a freakin windows system.

P.S. gv has some stupid sms alert system but thats the same thing as email if you just send the email to phonenumber@serviceprovider.com

any help is appreciated. thanks

in the US im sure there are some licencing laws regarding installing windows on multiple PCs. If you're not sure about it, you may want to rethink building your own PC DVRs as they require alot more time involvement than a normal PC windows installation, if you want it to last that is. Or lets put it this way, if you're looking to save money, you may end up with 6+ hours building and loading up each PC, which in the long run means you may end up charging alot more, than say plugging in a ready made/tested DVR which can take 5 minutes to install. Stand alone 4 channel DVRs can cost under $500 these days, much less than a PC and a PC DVR plus time involved in set up and maintenance.

One XP licence to one machine. They only exception is corp keys and you won't save money (and you can't use them for this anyway). However if you are building the machine, why not just get a windows XP OEM copy for about $140?

MS has been making a big push lately to crack down on OEM's that are using pirated copies of windows. I was a former Windows OEM builder and I still get mailings from them and each month they send me a postcard with the names of builders who they've busted.

Now a quick question for you, what is your background?

im a feshman studing in computer science @ mit. Not too much of an expert with dvr systems but i built a few and they were happy with wat they got. So i thought why not get paid for it? could be my part time job. By the way, does anyone know of a source where i can get windows 2000 cds? im thinking they would be a lot cheaper. and oem cds, if i use them do they even have any way ok knowing? i mean they cant just come to my customers house and grab their mouse and keyboard.

1. XP Home is not for mission critical systems.

2. Newegg has Win2k OEM for $147.

3. With MS's new program, your end user suffers nothing. In fact, if they notify MS they get a vaild licence for the machine. You get the legal equivlent of anal rape. I get the lovely mailings in which they brag about the settlements they forced on OEM builders with dodgy licences.

Some clarification points about OEM versions of windows.

1. They are cheaper, generally by about half.

2. They must be purchaced with hardware. Some vendors enforce this tightly, some don't.

3. They are full versions of windows.

4. They do not come with all of the manuals.

5. They come with vaild licence codes.

6. You can transfer them to a CD with your drivers, applications, ect for easy install.

Some advice to ponder, ment in the sprit of a friendly advice rather then a flame.

Please don't cut corners. It comes back to bite you in the butt. Either in increased support calls, or in the worst case, the unit failing at a critical period. That phone call isn't fun, even if it's entirely the user's fault, they are going to be pissed and looking for someone to blame. There are alot of idiots in the bussiness, please don't add to that.

i know. just saying. What about getting an account with a distributor and selling cheap stand alone DVRs? Therefore no worries about buying OS's and building and testing the PCs. If you need a couple links to some distributors let me know. A couple of their stand alones you would never be able to build a 'legal' (in US terms) PC based DVR for anywhere close to it.

Otherwise you may want to look at the Vpon DVRs whichhave the onchip OS. Still PC based.

Rory

if you look in the description, it says oem softwares can be used if any hardware is purchased with it. If i am building the pc, and supplying the software with hardware isnt this legal?

ya rory, go ahead. I am always open for knowledge. one question though - arent they expensive? and i finally found a dvr card that alerts you through phone alert when it detects intruder. Will a standalone dvr be able to do that?

Edited by Guest

ya rory, go ahead. I am always open for knowledge. one question though - arent they expensive? and i finally found a dvr card that alerts you through phone alert when it detects intruder. Will a standalone dvr be able to do that?

$375 for a Multiplexed 9 channel DVR low end. $500 4 channel Multiplexed Networked cheap one, $900 16 channel Multiplexed Networked cheap one.

Higher end with much more features and stability start at around $1400 4 channel.

as for phone, yes, but not the cheap ones.

PM me for the contact info.

Rory

If you build the machine and buy the hardware for it, then you are an OEM. You can use the OEM version.