tmcgowan

Problem configuring a Panasonic WJ-HD316A FTP settings

I have a newbe question regarding configuring the FTP settings on my Panasonic WJ-HD316A DVR. I would like to send a still image from each of my 13 exterior cameras to my home automation system for display purposes. I've set the Event on my DVR to trigger every minute and selected the cameras I want to send via FTP. However, on the FTP settings, when I try entering a path name in Path Name field, it keeps giving me an error message. It doesn't seem to like "\", "/" or even C:\DVR characters or folder names.

Has anyone been able to figure this out? The manual doesn't cover this topic very well.

Regards,

Todd

I have a newbe question regarding configuring the FTP settings on my Panasonic WJ-HD316A DVR. I would like to send a still image from each of my 13 exterior cameras to my home automation system for display purposes. I've set the Event on my DVR to trigger every minute and selected the cameras I want to send via FTP. However, on the FTP settings, when I try entering a path name in Path Name field, it keeps giving me an error message. It doesn't seem to like "", "/" or even C:\DVR characters or folder names.

Has anyone been able to figure this out? The manual doesn't cover this topic very well.

Regards,

Todd

C:\DVR isn't a valid address for FTP. Are you trying to map a virtual directory to an already existing FTP address or are you trying to use it like a network share?

You can probably just use / and see where it goes but your FTP server configuration should dictate where the files are located.

Also you probably need DDNS configured to pass ftp.yourdomain.com otherwise you must have and use a static IP.

EDIT: Are these two on the same LAN?

Thank you for your quick responses. Here's some additional facts I omitted. I'm using FTP software on the Home Automation Server that is located on the same network (router). The FTP application does point to the directory C:\DVR. I know that part works since I have some Panasonic IP cameras that FTP their images to the same port/user ID and Password. The software also permits multiple user logons with the same User ID/Passwords.

When I leave the Path field blank on the DVR, the DVR is happy when I hit the Register button on the bottom of the configuration screen. When I place a \DVR location in the field and hit enter, it turns it into /DVR. When I hit the Register button, an error message appears indicating that the character is invalid. Hence my frustration.

Is there a simple experiement to determine if the problem is: 1) a problem with the Event configuration, 2) a problem with my FTP parameters or 3) a communication problem between the DVR and the receiving computer?

I've attached a portion of the Network Log screen.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions!!

-Todd

Log.PNG.91ded6f998ec864a5894807635627fde.PNG

If the ftp server thinks C:\DVR is root and you wish to use a subfolder you will need to create it beforehand or use mkdir to create it. The DVR probably doesn't support mkdir so you will need to create it with another FTP client on on the FTP server.

In other words "C:\DVR" = "/" in the ftp clients eyes.

Same as "C:\DVR\DVR" = "/DVR" to the client.

If you want to use a folder called DVR under that you will need to create C:\DVR\DVR. Then you can use a path like /DVR, the error is telling you that directory doesn't exist.

Thank you for your quick responses. Here's some additional facts I omitted. I'm using FTP software on the Home Automation Server that is located on the same network (router). The FTP application does point to the directory C:\DVR. I know that part works since I have some Panasonic IP cameras that FTP their images to the same port/user ID and Password. The software also permits multiple user logons with the same User ID/Passwords.

When I leave the Path field blank on the DVR, the DVR is happy when I hit the Register button on the bottom of the configuration screen. When I place a \DVR location in the field and hit enter, it turns it into /DVR. When I hit the Register button, an error message appears indicating that the character is invalid. Hence my frustration.

Is there a simple experiement to determine if the problem is: 1) a problem with the Event configuration, 2) a problem with my FTP parameters or 3) a communication problem between the DVR and the receiving computer?

I've attached a portion of the Network Log screen.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions!!

-Todd

Your problem is the formating of your parameters. A proper ftp path will look something like ftp://192.168.1.108/dvr And you change the ip address to match the IP address of the server and the directory to what ever the incoming directory for the home automation.