pingsquare

Remote viewing slow

Hi guys have got a little bit problem here..hope i can find some help here...

I currently have a pc running on the kodicom 880 capture card, the one iwht 8 channel 200 fps, everything work perfectly smoothly on the server(cctv server i mean) side....the problem comes when i try to remotely access my cctv server for live trasmission....i'm operating on a 512 kb download and 256 kbps upload broadband connection... my connection operate on a router and that my cctv server is actually behind the router...have done all the necessary configuration like dynamic dns and port forwarding... the problem is that the trasmission of the live video seems to be very slow...for the kind of speed...i should be getting maybe getting 10-15 fps(only viewing 1 window meaning 1 camera), but sadly i am only getting like 2-4 fps...and its even worse for the webdvr...only round 1 fps...i reckon that it should be faster than that....accessing throug lan is perfectly alright...not much problem, image on the cctv pc is perfectly good...very smooth...so what could be the problem? does is lie with my router firewall? or should i setup another connection directly without going through the router so that it will be faster? any other suggestions to improve the transmission speed? please enlighten me guys..thank you very much in advance...

There are two factors that combine to make "speed" on the net. Bandwith is only part of the problem. Latenacy is the second factor.

What kind of internet connection is it?

Have you benchmarked the connection, if so what were the real numbers?

What is your ping time to that server from the viewer?

What is the connection of the machine you're viewing from?

And with 256kb up...you won't get 10-15 fps.

Its an ADSL Connection, the ping time from the viewer to the server is around 90-100ms and i am also using an adsl connection for the viewer.These are the information tat i can provide now.

btw...how do i benchmark the connection? thanks!!!

Hi, i have benchmark the connection..its around 360 kb per second...btw...have been told that things should speed up if i operate without the firewall...is it true?

well...it should be ok since i do not have any sensitive data....should it should be pretty alright without the firewall...alternatively...should i out it on DMZ...computers on DMZ are not bounded by firewall right?

It's not about your sensitive data...it's about the box becoming a bot in a spam net or some box in a DDOS attack. Do not DMZ the box, do not put it open onto the net.

oh ok... so after all these i still cannot get the desired output of 10-15 fps...what should i do? upgrade to a higher performing connection?

capture size? you mean the screen size(capture resolution) rite? i setted at 768 * 576 quality is best and transfer quality is best too.....this might have cause the problem

I am having the same problem with my system.

I have ADSL with an upload speed of 256k/b (20k/sec-24k/sec)

When I view over the internal network I get around 30-50 fps when viewing all 6 cameras.

When I switch to a single camera I only get 10fps?

The same happens over the internet.

Viewing all camera gives 1-2 fps but vireing 1 camera gives <1fps (0.3-0.5)

I cannot see anything in the webserver config that could be effecting this.

In the settings I have Live Video Stream Bandwidth set to "Unlimited"

Any ideas?

Any ideas?
Have you tried changing the resolution at the camera itself (instead of the recording software)? See if lower bandwidth usage parameters such as: Image size, Compression / Image Quality or Refresh Rate.