XeroZephyr

Software recommendations?

Hi there! I'm new to the security scene in general and have been assigned to set up the security system in two restaurants. I was basically handed the cameras, wiring and software and told: "Good Luck". Everything's been going well until I try to actually get the cameras to display anything. I have version 7.02 of Gevision's software, however I have no dongle (which it asks for when I try and configure the cameras). Should I try and get dongles for the cards in both stores or should I just revert to an even older version of the Geovision software (like version 6050)? I ran the check to see if the system is compatible with 8.01 and it is not. Any recommendations? Should I use third-party software?

Thanks in advance!!

//Chris

Welcome to my hell....and also, welcome to the Geovision forums.

I think you are now in the same boat as me, and it has a few holes in it.

I have a Geovision GV-600-8 cams version (v3) hardware revision level.

You will need the dongle to run the 7.x versions and you will not be able to run any of the 8.x versions.

It's all due to the great copy protection schemes Geovision uses.

I keep hoping they would change it so I could use the latest version of the Geovision software on my older v3 card, but I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.

It makes it really difficult for me to consider upgrading to a newer Geovision card as well because, I do not want to be stuck in this exact same predicament in the future. I really want to upgrade to say an 800 or greater but the software hoops are just too much.

I usually like to squeeze every penny out of my hardware investments but this protection scheme makes it difficult to do so, unless you don't mind running much older software.

You should be fine with 6050 though. I guess. Otherwise get the dongles for 7.x, but you won't be running 8.20, which sucks because 8.20 has many new features.

This is the biggest downfall of Geovision in my opinion. Otherwise, I like Geovision quite a bit (I know, hard to tell isn't it?). It's a love \ hate relationship you could say.

I love the cards, I love the software functionality, but I hate the software upgrade runaround circus that you have to play with Geovision cards.

I keep getting told it's because of all the crazy pirates out there that Geovision decided on these copy protection schemes. I still think a better solution needs to be drawn up however.

Damn pirates.....Arrrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!

Wait! That wasn't loud enough.

Let me say that again, only louder this time:

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Your stuck with the older software version there Matie!!

This link may help you however:

http://www.costumeshopper.com/prods/fm58323.html

Edited by Guest

Yeah, that's what I was suspecting... Any idea where I can get the 6050 version though?

[Edit] Typo.

Edited by Guest

After all this time has passed, you would think Geovision would just let the older cards work with the new 8.3 software.

Does anyone happen to have any codes for Geovision software, or know of any hacks that allow you to run 8.3 on the older hardware revision cards? I fell like I have been ripped off by Geovision due to their ridiculous software upgrade strategy. ver 7.0 has many bugs and as a purchaser of the hardware, I should be allowed to run the latest version so the bugs can be fixed. There must be a workaround for this somewhere.

Just so you know all versions of 8.3 have bugs also!

Yep. I'm completely aware of that, however, 8.3 works with the iPhone, 7.x does not.

For me to have to re-purchase the same card I already own, just to be able to run the latest software revision is ridiculous.

I already own the legitimate hardware, and should be able to use the latest revision of the software. Ridiculous I say.

And....who is to say I wouldn't go out and purchase the 8.3 card, and then 9.x comes out and I have to re-purchase the card again.. Ridiculous.

So, there must be a way, for me to get 8.3 to work on my slightly older version of the card.

This would never ever be allowed to occur with a regular video card. For instance, if this were an ATI or Nvidia DVR capture card, you could bet the latest versions of the Catalyst drivers and software suite would run with the card. They don't just drop support that quickly. It would be like if you had an ATI DVR and a year later, they released the same exact card with a new driver set and then stopped supporting the older hardware. They would not do that.

You shouldn't have to re-purchase a piece of hardware you already own if there is absolutely nothing wrong with it save for the drivers\software to operate it.

Imagine buying an ATI HD5850 one year, and the very next year, you are told you have to re-purchase it if you want to use the latest drivers that were released for the ATI HD5850.

That would never happen with a reputible company such as ATI\Nvidia, and it should not be allowed to happen with Geovision.

Sorry, I dont have an Iphone so cant feel your pain

I love my netbook though .. works with anything