rdawg

Need to disguise a ir camera(please help)

Guys i need to put a little camera (i'll probably use a wireless ir camera) in a dark area in my warehouse. Problem is it is pretty dark and i am afraid that the ir lights on the camera will be very noticeable. Question is there a way i can disquise the ir lights without interferring with the quality of the picture???? thanks for your thoughts

The most covert camera that I have installed involved one of those LED posters.

You have seen them. They have the fifties drive in where the cars that are parked have leds in the tailights, or you have seen the bridge scene where the lights on the bridge are LED.

Find a poster similar to those, and then embed IR LEDs into the scene.

The poster has to fit the environment, or the environment has to be changed to fit the poster. The poster give you the "excuse" to run power to the poster (ala the IR LEDs)

Place your camera into an object that belongs in the "scene". It could be an oversized electrical box, or it could be a birdhouse, or you can buy a large wallpack light (about $500.00) where you can cut a whole for the lens to look through.

Now the next trick is to age it. You may have to collect dust from somewhere else and place it on your hidden cam to get it to blend in.

It does not help to have a new shiny box in an old building.

There are other aging tricks such as the layer of crackle paint then a layer of a top coat paint that gets crackled to give it the peeling and chipping look.

What do you think?

How about a small light source , about 15 w. left on permanently, and place your IR. source right beside it, or around it , when you look at the light source (15 w. ) your eyes will automatically adjust , closing your iris (just like a camera lens) and if you set it up right you wont see the the IR. source.

Or how about a PIR. activated floodlight, although this tends to make intruders suspicious, it depends on who or what you want to catch.

With covert cameras I try to keep them close to and behind a strong light source, that way its hard for your eyes to see the cam. beside the strong light source.