glove311

Where to put DVR

I am installing a stand alone 16 channel dvr in my home. My question is in regards to the location of the unit. It is pretty noisy since the fan runs most of the time, so I was considering putting it in a closet - but I'm concerned about the heat and the unit not having proper ventilation. The closet is about 7 feet tall, 24 inches wide and 24 inches deep.

The unit can be rack mounted so I was thinking about putting it in a case which would give me the option of using a rack mounted fan.

Any suggestions would be appeciated.

Thanks.

I put mine in a closet and haven't had any problems.

The same closet also has my alarm power supply & battery backup

I think it'd be fine... just don't put stuff in the closet right up against it so it can get air.

My alarm power supply is mounted to the wall in the closet and my dvr is just sitting on the shelf in the closet.

I don't have any extra fans or anything in mine but if you feel the dvr, it feels cool... doesn't even feel warm...

I put mine in my loft space (attic) it seemed logical as all the camera cables were run into there and i use the remote viewing software to view it, my loft is also pretty accessable as it is semi floored etc maybe not ideal for everyone but it works for me.

I hope you do not have to install an electrical outlet, or I hope you have a relative who is an electrician!!

You should be fine. You can always have your other relative drop an AC duct in to the closet if there is an attic space above the closet.

The only advice that I have to others is to not install DVRs in a Master Bedroom. The noisy fan will keep you awake at night when everything else is quiet.