Sign in to follow this  
barlew

2 IP Cam set up in & out door help

Hello

I’m in the process of installing data cables (CAT6) around my house and will be looking for 2 IP cameras to hook up to it.

1) The first will be an indoor baby monitor so we can watch our newborn at night from down stairs on the PC, also the grandparents can watch by login in from their house. This camera needs to see in the dark quite well, but won’t be used during the day. 1 way audio pickup would be a bonus

2) The other cam will monitor our front garden where the fence keeps getting kicking in. I will install the cam under the roof arch so it won’t need complete waterproofing. This one will also need to be able to pick out faces from about 22feet (5.5 metres) in darken light. The council have just put a big street light outside our house so it’s not in complete darkness. I will require PC software to control and record this over the Ethernet, I was looking at LuxRiot.

I’m not looking to buy a DVR or PVR as both will be accessed and operated via a PC. I’m also not looking to spend loads. Budget for baby monitor cam £40-80 and the outside up to £150

Any help or advice would be welcome as there are so many cams around I’m just getting lost!

Hmm, I'm just a home user too but will make a few comments.

First, I wouldn't get too hung up on IP cameras just because you have the CAT6 cable. You can run the analog over that cable too, and you will have far more options regarding choosing a camera that can address the more critical issue - that of getting good images under the lighting and spacial conditions you have specified, and within your budget. Might be different if there was another zero on those budget numbers!

I would also think a bit about whether the baby cam and outdoor camera(s) have the same viewing requirements - perhaps you would prefer a separate monitor to make the baby cam more convenient to view continuously while you are engaged in your evening activities, without tying the computer screen. You won't have a need to record it while the other location needs recording but almost no monitoring. And neither need pro NVR software like Luxriot.

Looking at the D-Link line of cheaper IP's, none of them look suitable for low light and all have unimpressive resolution. But I'll bet they all come with free NVR software. Presumably there is one somewhere with IR LED's for the baby cam.

For the outdoor application you will likely need two cameras, one to capture the event and the other zoomed-in to ID the person as they pass by. Even then, a street light does not necessarily have the right sort of light nor the best orientation to make a good image. An IP camera may not have the frame rate you need to capture the event.

Buy some stuff and try it out to get an idea of what works in your case.

Hi Kiwi, thanks for the reply

Analog over CAT6, didnt know this. I assume i would buy the analog cam and need to buy a coaxial to RJ45 adapter, then pick up the signal via the network just like a IP cam?

Your right the 2 cams dont have the same software requirments. The Baby monitor wont need any software, just be able to view via a web browser. But the other will.

Havent the budget for 2 outdoor cams. I've been recomended this outdoor cam in another forum, would it do the job?

W W W.ipcctvcameras.co.uk/CAM_R3020HQIPIPCCTVCamerasProductDetails.htm

A little more than i wanted to spend, but if it does the job, fine.

The part to convert video over cat 5/6 is called a balun.

Why do you want an IP cam for a baby monitor? Wouldn't it be easier to use an analog camera that can be viewed on a tv rather than having to pull it up on a computer's monitor?

*edit*, sorry, just saw the part about allowing grandparents to view the baby at night. Still think a simple ir cam would work better and be more cost effective.

You need a balun at each end and the signal stays analog over the CAT5/6, and at the exit. To convert to IP you need what's called a "video server," not normally cost effective compared to just getting an IP camera in the first place.

That camera you specified looks OK for the fence but you need to be sure the 6mm lens has the correct angle (about 36 degrees) for your viewing requirements. The IR strength looks OK but there will be a very slightly visible glow at night.

If they have a suitable return policy I would just buy one and try it out. It's the best way to learn

Another low-cost option, 3 analog cameras - all with IR (and baluns as reqd,) and a Swann USB 4-ch DVR dongle. I have one of these devices and it actually works very well, includes software with remote viewing.