neugent

POS integration

Anybody here doing POS integration projects? I know of a cheap and very effective solution of integrating any POS equipment/ application. I can give the sample codes and demos for those interested. PM me for details.

As long as it is not data capture I would be interseted in taking a look please

Hey bud, what do you mean "As long as it is not data capture"? How else is the concept suppose to work?

Data capture is realy old...and besides most printers these days are all USB...and besides that a printed docket does not contain all the information..therefore you can only capture what comes out on the docket...and if you knew the amount of info that is stripped from dockets...IE department, disount percentages, manager overrides...credit card info etc...this is all info that you want to search

Most POS terminals are PC's they create data that is then sent to a back office pc to create a database...the best way is to convert this database or use this database to create a sececondary database that then write software to create these tables and link to the video files.....in this way you can drill right down...for example.

Data Capture Searching allows

Search all Voids --> List all transactions with Voids and amounts ---> play video

Database Translation Searching allows.

Search all Voids ---> List all transactions containing voids ----> Narrow down to only USA Sites ----> Narrow down to only sites in New York ---> Narrow down to only site =A ---> Narrow down to only Voids over $50 ---> Narrow down to only voids ---> Done by operator =A ---> Narrow down to only voids done from register = A ----> Narrow down to voids containing Pepsi Max ----> Narrow down to voids that also include a staff discount -----> Narrow down to voids that are immediate followed by opening a cash drawer...etc etc etc

Data caputre is one packet at a time...but Database is almost infinite searching of all important criteria...not to mention that there is no point of weakness, data capture box, and no need for compatability.....Imagine telling a client, thanks for purchasing 1000 data capture box's but now that you have migrated to USB printing....we cant do it anymore.....no thanks

We have done a few jobs in this area. Only small ones so far (bars etc) with 16-32 cameras. Have used both serial capture on till receipts (on old non-ethernet tills), and database integration on some ethernet tills.

Database integration obviously gives far more information, and gives many more searchable fields. All our projects so far are on Panasonic DVRs. We have gained Panasonic preferred partner status here in New Zealand, and Panasonic has been quite helpful in pushing our product here.

The Quest tills used in our latest projects are based on custom micro boards, and report their data back to the office PC where it is stored in an Access database.

We do a decent amount of supermarket work in our day-to-day business and have been looking at trying to get a foot in the door there, but with limited success so far.

Duncan

Jobs so far have been to order, so we don't have a flyer or a demo up yet.

I'll see if I can get the sales guys to put one up.

Really just posting my experience in case I can help others with any questions / issues that I may have already dealt with.

Here are some links for you though:

Duncan

(p.s. Looking for an SDK for a GE DVMRe if anyone can help. Not for commercial use, just want to write some software for a unit I picked up cheap and have running at my factory.)

Sorry about that!

Bummer, and I still can't post links, will try again later if anyone's interested...

Duncan

(p.s. Looking for an SDK for a GE DVMRe if anyone can help. Not for commercial use, just want to write some software for a unit I picked up cheap and have running at my factory.)

The solution is via TCP/IP and uses i/o port capture without the extra hardware. Any issues in installing such software on the POS client side?

A TCP/IP port capture should be completely transparent from the client side. Could take you a while to add code to pull all the relevant info from the data stream though.

Shouldn't be any technical issues though. http://www.wireshark.org/ is very useful for analysing network comms.

Duncan