Sign in to follow this  
tblake

Sensormatic VS Checkpoint

Hey Guys, Newbie here, go easy on me.

A little background.....

I've worked in security for the past 3+ years or so. I've picked up a little bit here and there about installs and troubleshooting.

Now, the company I work for is pretty old school, they still have MUX's and Time laps VCR's. DVR's are scheduled to be installed within two weeks.

Ok, so, at my store, we have a sensormatic controller that calls up 5 PTZ's and a bunch of stills. Then somewhere down the line my store acquired an additional PTZ only its a checkpoint. SO we have all the hardware to make the Checkpoint PTZ work, (clarity concept controller, switcher, and PDLE). The video just goes into the sensormatic mux and gets recorded.

So basically I have 5 PTZ's controlled with a sensormatic controller and 1 controlled by the checkpoint clarity concept controller.

Before this DVR install date I would really really like to some how make all the PTZ's operational through the Clarity concept controller. I really really hate sensormatic. (just my preference) Please dont bash me, I can just controll camera's way better with the clarity concept controller.

So, is there any sort of converter or a way to hook up a sensormatic PTZ to the checkpoint PDLE in order to controll it with the clarity concept controller?

I'm sure there is not, but I thought I would ask. I know quite a bit about sensormatic systems, but hardly anything about sensormatic.

I did have a look and it appears sensormatic PTZ's have 5 wires???? Whats the deal? What does each do?

I know on checkpoint, red and black are power, and the other two are data.

So, can anyone help? Thanks!

Hey bud, let me give this a shot and by the way, welcome!

Hey Guys, Newbie here, go easy on me.

A little background.....

I've worked in security for the past 3+ years or so. I've picked up a little bit here and there about installs and troubleshooting.

Now, the company I work for is pretty old school, they still have MUX's and Time laps VCR's. DVR's are scheduled to be installed within two weeks.

Can you please share the make and the model of the DVRs that your company will start using? Dependent which DVR is come in play, it is possible to connect your controller directly to the DVR and multitask with local and as well as remote control of these same domes... Again, it all depends which DVRs will be in this loop.

Ok, so, at my store, we have a sensormatic controller that calls up 5 PTZ's and a bunch of stills.

Which Sensormatic controller are you using? Which PTZ domes models are in place?

Then somewhere down the line my store acquired an additional PTZ only its a checkpoint. SO we have all the hardware to make the Checkpoint PTZ work, (clarity concept controller, switcher, and PDLE). The video just goes into the sensormatic mux and gets recorded.

Which model of Sensormatic Mux are you using? This may still be necessary for the sake of controlling the domes, including Checkpoint dome and with its controller... Simple fact dictates that most Mux units were and still are the byproduct of what Robot introduced in so many years, so it is possible to use it to potentially control other domes - age of the dome, model of the domes and the maker of the domes are very crucial to make the correct judgment, so we also will need to know the model of the dome from Checkpoint.

So basically I have 5 PTZ's controlled with a sensormatic controller and 1 controlled by the checkpoint clarity concept controller.

Before this DVR install date I would really really like to some how make all the PTZ's operational through the Clarity concept controller. I really really hate sensormatic. (just my preference) Please dont bash me, I can just controll camera's way better with the clarity concept controller.

So, is there any sort of converter or a way to hook up a sensormatic PTZ to the checkpoint PDLE in order to controll it with the clarity concept controller?

Yes, the only gotcha is which model PTZ do you have from Sensormatic? Dependent on the answer, you either could control them with this Checkpoint controller directly (RS485 protocol if it allows it) or a translator from Sennetech will do the trick.

I'm sure there is not, but I thought I would ask. I know quite a bit about sensormatic systems, but hardly anything about sensormatic.

We know quite of bit on both

I did have a look and it appears sensormatic PTZ's have 5 wires???? Whats the deal? What does each do?

It depends which domes you have. If you have the older domes, then you have Sensormatic Composite cable (it actually have more than five cables), but most likely it is their S-Net cable

I know on checkpoint, red and black are power, and the other two are data.

So, can anyone help? Thanks!

Wow, a glimmer of hope Thanks for the reply and the welcome!

I dont know exacly the model numbers of the equipment I have right off hand, and I dont work again untill saturday night, so I will write down model numbers and let you know.

I will tell you the Dvr's I'm getting are brand new top of the line March or Marc system. I have used them at other stores, and know they are capable of controlling PTZ's, but the other stores still use the old controllers and the fancy new DVR's for just recording/review.

The equipment I currently have.... (to the best of my knowledge)

~Sensormatic System~

-AD touchtracker 16 rings a bell (maybe?)

-J-box (no idea the model number)

-sensormatic duplex color multiplexor (no idea the model number)

-sensormatic speed domes x5 (no idea the model numbers)

~Checkpoint System~

-clarity concept controller (type where you twist the joystick to zoom in and out)

-Power Data Line Exteder (I think its called, no idea the model number)

-Switcher (no idea the model number)

-Checkpoint PTZ (no idea the model number)

I hope this helps a little for right now, thank you for any info!!!

Say, could I just try try and control the PTZ's from the sensormatic system directly with the checkpoint system?

How would I hook them up? 4wire (checkpoint) vs 5wire (sensormatic)

Thanks for the help so far!

Say, could I just try try and control the PTZ's from the sensormatic system directly with the checkpoint system?

How would I hook them up? 4wire (checkpoint) vs 5wire (sensormatic)

Thanks for the help so far!

Need more info bud... Can tell for sure without them... Just get me exactly what I ask and then lets see how this will all come together..

What were the major reasons going with March Networks DVR? It is a great box and does very well... just want to know what were your take (or company's take) to go with them...

Wow, a glimmer of hope Thanks for the reply and the welcome!

I dont know exacly the model numbers of the equipment I have right off hand, and I dont work again untill saturday night, so I will write down model numbers and let you know.

I will tell you the Dvr's I'm getting are brand new top of the line March or Marc system. I have used them at other stores, and know they are capable of controlling PTZ's, but the other stores still use the old controllers and the fancy new DVR's for just recording/review.

The equipment I currently have.... (to the best of my knowledge)

~Sensormatic System~

-AD touchtracker 16 rings a bell (maybe?)

-J-box (no idea the model number)

-sensormatic duplex color multiplexor (no idea the model number)

-sensormatic speed domes x5 (no idea the model numbers)

~Checkpoint System~

-clarity concept controller (type where you twist the joystick to zoom in and out)

-Power Data Line Exteder (I think its called, no idea the model number)

-Switcher (no idea the model number)

-Checkpoint PTZ (no idea the model number)

I hope this helps a little for right now, thank you for any info!!!

Lets wait until you can gather this info...

What were the major reasons going with March Networks DVR? It is a great box and does very well... just want to know what were your take (or company's take) to go with them...

I'm not exactly sure. It wasn't my decision. Tell you the truth from what I've used, they seem a little too complicated. Maybe I just need to get used to them. Only time will tell. Anything is better than reviewing MUX of a 24hr time laps vcr, so I wasn't going to be picky.

I will get you that info ASAP. Thanks for the help so far. Is there any way to figure out what kind of PTZ's I have without climbing up there? Figuring out what kind of checkpoint PTZ I have will be near impossible. Its the outside shot.

Hey guys, I am so ticked right now. I typed up a big long post, included urls to actualy pictures of my system, I previewed it, made sure it looked good, then I went to post it and I got an error and lost everything. The error said something about new members not allowed to post URLS. What the heck? I dont have enough time to type it up again before i have to leave for work, but stand by, maybe when I get home I will type it again.

hey, CCTV_Suppliers, say, I tried to post again. Apparently I have not been a member for 10 days so it will not allow me to post links.

I then tried to send a PM to you, but same deal, it wont even let me PM because I am new. Talk about overkill?

CCTV_Suppliers, I Have a quick question, I have my post with links saved on a notepad document, if I were to email you the notepad document, would you post it for me? All you will have to do is open it and edit copy edit paste and post. It will post my exact writeup with working links to my pictures of hardware.

I'm sort of frustrated, becuase if I have to wait, I will not be able to post it untill the 10th and I will have no time to get the PTZ's wired up before the DVR's come.

tblake, sorry to hear this bud... The forum has specific rules and that is what causing this. I am sure this applies to everyone.

Here is what I recommend you do... Please call me (800) 572-3390 and ask that you want to talk to Levon... They will transfer you to me... I rather not leave my e-mail for obvious reasons...

I sent you PM as well, but looks like you can not get it... I do not remember how many posts you have to make to have access to PM...

Can any of the moderators answer this question please???

hey, CCTV_Suppliers, say, I tried to post again. Apparently I have not been a member for 10 days so it will not allow me to post links.

I then tried to send a PM to you, but same deal, it wont even let me PM because I am new. Talk about overkill?

CCTV_Suppliers, I Have a quick question, I have my post with links saved on a notepad document, if I were to email you the notepad document, would you post it for me? All you will have to do is open it and edit copy edit paste and post. It will post my exact writeup with working links to my pictures of hardware.

I'm sort of frustrated, becuase if I have to wait, I will not be able to post it untill the 10th and I will have no time to get the PTZ's wired up before the DVR's come.

We've had spam issues in the past. In fact we still tend to get some issues with it. Combine it with overzealous manufacturers and it can rise to some fairly epic levels.

Thomas, I can understand your concerns.. Just trying help this member... and if he calls, then we can solve it for him...

Can you please share for him how many posts he needs to place before he can upload info or to have access to PM??

Hey guys! I completly understand about the spammers. People these days, ruin everything for the rest of us.

BTW, thank you so much for the help Levon!

I will just wait one more day and post pictures of my hardware since I dont have all the model numbers. It would be great to get all my PTZ's on the checkpoint system, but I think at the very least I will have to buy another Power/data line server and probably a few more power supplies.

If this isn't all done by the time the DVR's get installed, that will be ok. I was just hoping to have things all ready to make for a professional install.

BTW Levon, how come you dont like the march networks DVR's? Just wondering.....

Thomas, I can understand your concerns.. Just trying help this member... and if he calls, then we can solve it for him...

Can you please share for him how many posts he needs to place before he can upload info or to have access to PM??

I missed this. 10 is the magic number.

BTW Levon, how come you dont like the march networks DVR's? Just wondering.....

Where did I note that I do not like it? My comments were as follows:

It is a great box and does very well. Is this comment mean that I do not like it

My Bad, I must have mis-understood you. Maybe I was under the impression that something else was better. Which I'm sure there is, but my company is trying to standardize all their stores so they all use the same hardware. That way the supervisors can spy on us from their own houses with their laptops.

So far I like the March networks DVR's all but for a couple gripes....

-to review, I cannot just type in a time, I have to slide the time frame bars around.

-when exporting video, it burns in some alternate format that requires the "march networks" specialized "evidence reviewer" to view.

As I said, it is a great box and it has many advantages and disadvantages compared to similar platforms from other manufacturers. I worked with this platform a while ago and it did deliver the goods as the company stated... I did not care for the proprietary formatted exporting of the video as well, because in many court cases, courts want something basic on Media Player, etc... At that time we were told that they are working on a "fix"..

Otherwise, it is a great choice, not cheap, but great performer...

spendy huh? I'm getting two 19" LCD monitors, two 16 port (I believe) DVR's and a brand new PC. I have no idea what the bill is, but I hope I am able to make enough apprehensions to at least sort of cover the cost.

I missed this. 10 is the magic number.

10 Posts huh? Do you mean 5 Legit posts and been signed up with CCTV forums for 10 days? This is the error message I keep getting.....

In order to try to prevent spammers, we do not allow our users to post URLs or enter personal data into their profile until they have posted at least 5 legitimate posts and have been with us for more than 10 days. We appreciate your understanding in this matter in order to help us eliminate spam from this forum. If you have somehow gotten this message even though you meet both of the criteria, please let us know ASAP.

Thanks!

I think I need to wait one more day before I can post my pictures.

Hey guys, sorry, i've been so busy lately. here is the current list of hardware I have....

Sensormatic MUX (RV2216)

89529_1.jpg

Sensormatic Controller (ADTT16E)

89529_2.jpg

Sensormatic J-Box (unknown model number)

89529_3.jpg

Sensormatic PTZ's x5 (SpeedDome Ultra VII)

89529_4.jpg

Checkpoint Controller (Unknown Model Number)

89529_5.jpg

Checkpoint 16x4 Video Matrix Switcher (Unknown Model Number)

89529_6.jpg

Checkpoint Power Data Server 2x4 (Unknown Model Number)

89529_7.jpg

Checkpoint Power Supplies (Unknown Model numbers)

89529_8.jpg

So thats what I got. Again, was just wondering if the sensormatic PTZ's can be moved to the Checkpoint system and what additional hardware I will need to do so. I think at the very least I will need another PDLE and a few more power supplies.

Again, thanks in advance for the help guys and thank you again Levon for the great assistance thus far!

I hope we are able to get this figured out and that I am able the get this system set up before the new DVR install but that may not happen, I'm a pretty busy guy.

Let me know what you think. Thanks again guys!

Please find some my observations below:

Hey guys, sorry, i've been so busy lately. here is the current list of hardware I have....

Sensormatic MUX (RV2216)

89529_1.jpg

Nothing special here.. standard Sensormatic Mux. From what I see, all it does is takes incoming video signals, multiplexes them and then uses a very good VCR from Mitsibushi... that is all here. I do not think that this Mux is playing any role to control your Sensormatic domes, rather it is the function of the touchtracker.

Sensormatic Controller (ADTT16E)

89529_2.jpg

This is the unit that controls your Sensormatic domes. This touchtracker can control up to sixteen domes and you can have the domes data truncated from one to the next. Again, nothing special..

Sensormatic J-Box (unknown model number)

89529_3.jpg

This looks like Sensormatic six position J-Box.. the probable model is RJ6SN

Sensormatic PTZ's x5 (SpeedDome Ultra VII)

89529_4.jpg

These domes look like the Ultra VII.. Most likely the connection to them is via S-Net protocol (Since ADTT16E touchtracker works with this protocol unless it has change to RS485, which is very unlikely.

Checkpoint Controller (Unknown Model Number)

89529_5.jpg

I also can not identify by the picture... Need to talk to Checkpoint

Checkpoint 16x4 Video Matrix Switcher (Unknown Model Number)

89529_6.jpg

I also can not identify by the picture... Need to talk to Checkpoint... It looks like their smallest size 16 channel matrix switch, but can not put my finger on which model yet.

Checkpoint Power Data Server 2x4 (Unknown Model Number)

89529_7.jpg

I also can not identify by the picture... Need to talk to Checkpoint... This is one of their many data distribution boxes.. It would have helped to know which one, as it will tell us which protocol it uses to establish communication with the domes.

Checkpoint Power Supplies (Unknown Model numbers)

89529_8.jpg

I also can not identify by the picture... Need to talk to Checkpoint.. but from what I see, it could be one of their standard dome power supplies capable to handle the power for multiple domes... but can not identify which one.

So thats what I got. Again, was just wondering if the sensormatic PTZ's can be moved to the Checkpoint system and what additional hardware I will need to do so. I think at the very least I will need another PDLE and a few more power supplies.

Again, thanks in advance for the help guys and thank you again Levon for the great assistance thus far!

I hope we are able to get this figured out and that I am able the get this system set up before the new DVR install but that may not happen, I'm a pretty busy guy.

Let me know what you think. Thanks again guys!

I will contact with Checkpoint next week to see if I can get the additional information to identify the models and then I can view the specs and their manuals... We worked with a similar type of setup while back ago and we made it work without translators.. however, if we can not confirm the above Checkpoint components, it will be shot in the dark... but it is worth exploring...

If we can not identify all the components, then the only other way to control Sensormatic PTZ domes is to use data translators from Sennetech. The pricing will be around $1,000 or more, as their translators vary based on protocol conversion and hardware requirements, but they cover most of the data protocol translation basis in the market.

Another angle I can ask you to think about is the following.. Dependent how many stores you guys have with your company and how many of these Checkpoint systems that you guys bought, it may be cheaper route to consolidate and yet keep each manufacturer equipment intact.. What I am suggesting that if there will be a need to spend money for translators to establish communication between Checkpoint keyboard/matrix switch with Sensormatic Domes, then the cost for such translators will almost be the same as getting another Sensormatic dome and eliminate the entire conversion...

If lets say you guys have several stores and these stores have combination of both equipment from both manufacturers, sometime it is more economical to move domes to match up with their respective controllers or vice versa. This way you do not have to worry about translators, rewiring, reprogramming, etc... Lets say you have five stores and each store had the same Sensormatic systems with number of domes, all you need to do is to pull one of the store's Sensormatic system, distribute all the domes to individual other stores and then install Checkpoint system with its own respective domes... Just a thought, since I do not know how many stores you have, how many of these Checkpoint systems your company bought nor how many Sensormatic PTZ solutions you have in respective stores.

What do you think?

Hey Levon! Thanks for all the great info. I dont think the company would spring for 1000 bucks for a converter. Nor are they going to be willing to put any more money into PTZ's or hardware (unfortunatly). Its odd. I'm the only one with two seperate systems. All the others have either checkpoint or sensormatic. I have no idea how I ended up with both.

Say if I were to experiment with my system, (swap a PTZ from sensormatic over to the checkpoint, how would I hook it up? If you look at the checkpoint Power/Data server, it has connections for voltage +, ground, and two data wires. from the J-box, what wires are +,-, and data? And just swapping over really quick, do you think I risk burning out a PTZ?

Also, the photo of the power supplies, there are two (24v I believe), one of them supplies power to two PTZ's, so with the Power/Data server, I think I can connect up to 4 PTZ's. So to connect all 6 PTZ's to checkpoint, I'm sure I will need an additional Power/Data server and also at least one more power supply.

I would like to expiriment, but would rather not mess up the system as it does work and does do its job. About the time I get it tweaked like I like it, is when my Boss will call and tell me I'm being transferred.

So, should I just attempt to hook up a speed dome VII to checkpoint and see if its possible compatible?

Thanks for the help!

We do not want you to have any problems with the boss...

I will get back to you beginning of the next week... after talking to Checkpoint... Only wished that I had the actual product codes, as it would have been much easier to talk to them...