advanet123

Remote Viewing (DDNS & port forwarding

Dear All,

I have some questions that I dont understand , hope someone can help on this:

1)Firstly, for remote viewing, port forwarding must be done on the router

2)Secondly, for remote viewing, there must be a dynamic DNS to be use like dyndns as an example

My questions is like this

If I am using AVTech DVR, I dont face much problem with any brands of routers as they accept dyndns for DDNS,but when I am using Kodicom for example, then the problems will appear.

As Kodicom is using third party DDNS in the DVR itself example like dnsdvr or webdvr which the DDNS is create in the DVR.(Kodicom dont allow to use dyndns account)

If I am using Kodicom with Linksys router (WAG200G) , no problem work fine perfectly, I only have to set the port forwarding in the router, no DDNS account is need to be create. Can anyone explain why is this so?

Whereas when I used Thomson ST585, I can open the ports in game application, applied setting to device but I cannot set the DDNS, or should I have to set the DDNS account (since I dont have to do so in linksys). Even if I try to set a DDNS account, they keep prompting me either update error ,

Anyone can help on this as I have at least 5 installation which is bugging me and the only solution is to change all to linksys router(which my client are not willing to pay)

Thanks in advance

Kel

Check to see if the Kodicom software automatically updates the DDNS from inside its own software. If it does there is no need to set it up on the router once the ports are forwarded

Erm, that was a little hard to follow, but...

First, you only need DDNS if the customer is on a dynamic IP. If their connection has a static IP, you can simply access it by using that address in the remote client. As often as possible, I insist my customers get a static IP from their ISP (most have it as a cost-added option), because it simply eliminates the problem rather than attempting to work around it.

If that's NOT an option, you have a few others. If your DVR supports a proprietary DDNS service (webdvr, etc.), just use that; the router should have no effect on its operation. It sounds like this what you're trying to do.

A DDNS (Dynamic Domain Name System) service is nothing more than a directory service, and your DDNS client, whether on the DVR or the router, just updates the listing when the IP changes. You could in theory have the same address listed with two or three different services (mydvr.webdvr.com, mydvr.dyndns.com, etc. etc.).

And IF it comes to needing a new router... I've bought Belkin routers on sale for $15, and basic D-Links go for about $30 regular retail around here. If they're too cheap for that, just buy it yourself, and add the cost into your service call (tack on an extra hour or something).

Kodicom's DDNS service is not good, plain and simple. As far as I understand (and this is from several years ago when they added this), it's all done through Korean servers which are up and down more than ___________ (insert Paris Hilton or similar joke here) and very slow.

Either way, a Linksys router with DynDNS. org support is BY FAR the quickest, easiest and most reliable way to fix this problem without resorting to paying for a static IP address.

I believe the DynDNS solution is better since most people can remember a web address easier than a random set of numbers to punch into IE when using another PC.

Good luck.

Actually, almost every router I've seen has DynDNS.org support built-in... the really good ones have a few different services supported, or even allow you to configure your own (like the latest D-Link DIR-series).

Yes, the ones that have it built in are awesome. I access my home DVR through a LinkSys with the DynDNS. org setup.

Super slick, easy and hasn't gone down once.

Dear All,

I have some questions that I dont understand , hope someone can help on this:

1)Firstly, for remote viewing, port forwarding must be done on the router

2)Secondly, for remote viewing, there must be a dynamic DNS to be use like dyndns as an example

My questions is like this

If I am using AVTech DVR, I dont face much problem with any brands of routers as they accept dyndns for DDNS,but when I am using Kodicom for example, then the problems will appear.

As Kodicom is using third party DDNS in the DVR itself example like dnsdvr or webdvr which the DDNS is create in the DVR.(Kodicom dont allow to use dyndns account)

If I am using Kodicom with Linksys router (WAG200G) , no problem work fine perfectly, I only have to set the port forwarding in the router, no DDNS account is need to be create. Can anyone explain why is this so?

- it is not clear here if you are using static ip since you didn't use DDNS. so how do you connect to your dvr remotely without using a DDNS account?

Whereas when I used Thomson ST585, I can open the ports in game application, applied setting to device but I cannot set the DDNS, or should I have to set the DDNS account (since I dont have to do so in linksys). Even if I try to set a DDNS account, they keep prompting me either update error ,

- does your thomson ST585 has a built-in configuration for your DDNS account, which will do the update for your DDNS account?

Anyone can help on this as I have at least 5 installation which is bugging me and the only solution is to change all to linksys router(which my client are not willing to pay)

Thanks in advance

Kel

Actually, almost every router I've seen has DynDNS support built-in... the really good ones have a few different services supported, or even allow you to configure your own (like the latest D-Link DIR-series).

I was having problems with my built in Linksys DDNS functionality and found that DynDns has a free piece of software called DynDns Updater that runs as a Windows service...it automatically refreshes your IP Address when your ISP reassigns an IP to you.

Edited by Guest

my favorite is no-ip.com. been using it for years and it has never failed me. but this is on my home setup so i do run a "ip update client" and am not doing it through the router.

free and easy

I think you have 2 ddns service running, that's why it appears update error. Try delete ddns account in your Thomson router.