clouseau

Remote Viewing - VIEWER setup

Got a no name DVR using remotedvr_D6.exe and the associated activex control for web browser use.

The router is configured correcty as best I can tell. One computer connects great and shows video. It's XP pro. 3 other XP home computers connect and allow "Control" , but don't display video. All d'loaded the ActiveX no problem. All activex permissions have been enabled in IE as well.

Data is streaming to the remote pc's (Even the ones not SHOWING any video)

All viewers have WMP 11 on them. Anyone have any ideas why there's no video? I can't believe it's XP Home instead of Pro, but I'm totally out of ideas. Anyone? Bueller?

Thanks

Clouseau

I do not have any advise.

I installed a DVR at a company one time, and I had the same issues.

Every one in the IT dept could see the remote video.

The CEO, and other big wigs could not see remote video.

This was off the LAN.

On these computers I down loaded the latest Active X, and tried other tweaks, and tricks. I defaulted the setup, and that did not work.

Nothing seemed to work. I am not a computer tech, and the guys in the IT dept took a look. They had no resolution either. I figure if they cannot get it going then it was not going to work.

The thing was the IT dept had newer computers (nothing great), and everyone else had older computers.

The older computers would not view the video.

This was off of a Nubix 4 DVR

http://eclipsecctv.com/NUBIX4_security_DVR.html

The solution was the IT dept had to part with a computer to the CEO.

They were not happy about that! Do not get on the wrong side of the IT dept. Everything worked out with them as the CEO is happy then IT is happy. So they were willing to make sacrifices!!! LOL!

Anyone with input?

Edited by Guest

Only other possibility I can think of is the video hardware or video driver... compare the brand/model/age of card in the machines that work vs. the machines that don't.

One brand of DVR I deal with has a known issue with their remote client on machines with ATI cards: when you go to a PTZ camera, it opens up a separate little controller window; if you minimize the client and then restore it, the controller doesn't come back. On nVidia-equipped systems, it works fine; it's a known problem they have with ATI cards. The tech I talked to about it wasn't sure if it was hardware- or driver-related, but said the development people had a patch for it and it would be taken care of in the next release...

In any case, point is, the problem could be specific to the video card. One suggestion: uninstall the video driver and reinstall it either from the bundled driver CD, or downloaded directly from the manufacturer's site. DO NOT allow Windows Update to update your video driver; DO NOT use a generic or third-party video chipset driver.

(Rule of thumb: NEVER allow Windows Update to update ANY drivers; in my experience, 80% of the time it either doesn't work, or it breaks things.)

In any case, point is, the problem could be specific to the video card. One suggestion: uninstall the video driver and reinstall it either from the bundled driver CD, or downloaded directly from the manufacturer's site. DO NOT allow Windows Update to update your video driver; DO NOT use a generic or third-party video chipset driver.

(Rule of thumb: NEVER allow Windows Update to update ANY drivers; in my experience, 80% of the time it either doesn't work, or it breaks things.)

SUCCESS!

At your suggestion, I attempted to update the driver of the ATI video card in one machine. Not surprisingly, "Update driver" says my 2001 version was the newest available. Went to the ATI site with device description and found another from 2002. Upgraded. Presto! It works.

Microsoft hasn't updated their XP driver base since 2001?

How sad...

I guess it applies to "Driver update" in the control panel also.

Thanks again. I'll try it on the other 2 and see where we go.

Clouseau

I am really glad to hear that you got it worked out.

I wonder how many people out there on their own have had this problem, and just threw a DVR on the dust pile in a closet somewhere??