Walter Tomlinson

OMG, another camera selection question.

OMG, another camera selection question.

For the same 200-300 bucks, and from a recorded image resolution point of view, for your money would you get a higher end camera with a ¼” chip and DSP, or a mid range with a 1/3” chip and no/less DSP.

The Panasonic WV-CF284 is a 540TV line, 2.8-6mm lens ¼” CCD with DSP.

Sanyo VDC-D1574VA 1/4'' CCD Super High Resolution Color Weatherproof Dome Camera with 2.6-6mm Varifocal Lens & 520 ($247)

The Sony SSC-CD45 is a 540TV line, 2.8 - 10 mm with DSP ($205)

Ganz ZC-D5025NHA 1/3" Color hi-res dome, 540 TVL, 2.3-5mm AI varifocal ($288)

Bosch VDC445V0320 1/3'' CCD Flexidome-VF Color Camera with 2.6-6mm Varifocal Lens, 540TVL, & Dual Voltage ($247)

The application is a Coin Op Laundromat, and 3-4 dome cameras doing birds-eye view of the premise. The place is well lighted, but one camera may get some morning glare due to windows on the East (large) and west (small). It would be nice to see large water spills on the floor, but I am most interest in recording the most resolution for later review as needed. This is a 5-7 year investment, so I am not planning updates over time.

Cameras placement optimization will be attempted at install, and use good coax and connections and power supply.

System is a GeoVison DV-800 with as much drive storage as needed. I am not stuck on GeoVison, but have seen good Demos, and would research another DVR card if I had one recommended, but SW must be functional. Of course viewing over the net is needed.

There are other cameras for facial shot (B&W) at door entrance and over coin changer but I think your answers above may help with these selections as well. Plan has occupancy sensor light switch so if broken into, lights come on.

I expect there are other thing I have not considered, I appreciate your opinions and experience.

Walt

I would go for budget, and I would go with the 1/3 no DSP.

Only my opinion.

It appears you are using Geo Vision so go for broke and get the best money can buy, but stick with the 1/3.

Have not yet committed to GV, but my commercial neighbor has you, he is happy with it and I know it works. Looked thru the A.V. foreum and seems like they have the same problems and GV.

Any other suggestions would be great, but seemed like a PC based unit was the way to go, and GV and AV seem like most of the market....did I miss something, should I go with a higher end card, or a all in one box?

thanks

I would recommend an all in one box that suits your needs.

Nothing wrong with PC based systems, it is only that I prefer stand alone DVRs.

Since I am planning to record on motion, I need to blank out the machine windows so I don't record the spinning cloths, just the people moving. How is to use a all in one box for this type of featuring?

Does flickering lights cause camera recording also?

Any one else got an opnion about cameras.

Thanks

I would follow Scorpion's suggestion and stay with the 1/3" CCD camera, as to the DVR, there are a lot of good stand alone units. Depending on where you are going to place the unit will also decide what you want to use.