alyeti

night vision dvr playback

Hi

i am new , i am a yeti, and i am an ameteur, did i spell that right?

anyhow my first question, (i did try and search but the search facility doesnt come up with what i type in, for example you type in night vision, loads of stuff comes up i am assuming it looks in the thread itself) but back to my question

how do i improve the night quality playback, or does this just depend on the cameras you are using? daytime payback is good , but night time playing back on the PC is complete rubbish, playing back from the dvr is not to bad, but is this a normal thing to have on run of the mill dvr's?

i guess your going to ask me what equipment i have? please tell me in general what can be done to improve it.

I have an unbranded dvr, 250gb hd, recently switched to motion detection and uped the fps , previously i had continious record going, i am using for example cameras like these

Item number: 110300445882 ebay this is one example

regards

yeti

Here an electrician to install lamp posts.

or you could buy more long throw IR illuminators,

or you could shoot off flares every 15 minutes!

OK! It was a joke! Sorry!

The DVR doesn't know what time of day it is, it just plays back what it records, and it records whatever it's fed. That narrows it down the cameras.

If the camera has an auto-iris lens, the suggestion to focus it at night applies - when it's bright out, the iris closes down, and the depth of field increases, so there's a lot longer range where the camera is in focus. At night, when the iris opens up, the range of focus becomes a lot narrower and might require re-focusing.

If you can post still shots of both day and night pictures though, it would be a lot easier to see what's going on...

The DVR doesn't know what time of day it is, it just plays back what it records, and it records whatever it's fed. That narrows it down the cameras...

While your statement is generally correct, in case of a DVR, it also degrades the image in the process of compressing the image. And there, we do have an impact due to higher level of grain/noise, which reduces efficiency of compression, causing more artifacts. The level of redundancy in the image goes down as you replace real life images with a lot of noise.

But yes, the source of the problem is the camera/lighting....