sourishdey

CCTV over UTP Query

I am new to using UTP for CCTV projects.

Please guide me in designing the following config:

We will have 28 Fixed Cameras and 2 PTZ Cameras.

I wish to transmit both power and video for the Fixed Cameras using transceivers and hubs.

I wish to keep the PTZ part separate and transmit all three - power, data and video over UTP.

Kindly also let me know whether for fixed cameras I can transmit power and video of more than one camera over the same CAT6 cable.

A diagram will be helpful.

You're certainly on the right track. Just make sure you are buying the baluns that can support the resolution of the cameras you are using. Huge important factor when selecting baluns is the bandwith. 80 lines of resolution is 1MHz. So a 5MHz balun will only go to 400 lines of res. Hope that helps.

Erron S.

Yes, you can run multiple cameras on a single Cat-5/6. Each camera needs only two pair - one for video, one for power. Be aware though, that with the thin wire, you may see significant voltage drop over longer runs, especially with cameras that draw more current.

In an extreme pinch, you could even run three cameras with power over a single Cat-5/6, using three pair for the cameras and one pair for power to all three... but that will make the potential voltage drop even worse. This is POSSIBLE, but not really recommended.

Also, I don't know how these practices would work with NVT's hub and transceiver products, as I've never used those - all my use of baluns has been single runs.