MartinG

AVTech 717 poor picture quality

Hi,

I have installed an AVTech 717 DVR with 5 AVTech CCD cameras which are 1 AVM208, 3 x 1/3 15m Ir, 1 x 1/4 Sony 30m Ir.

The image quality is really poor, when viewing live or on play back. You cannot make out sign writing on vehicles even when only 7m away. Peoples faces are not distinguishable from 3-4m away. This is causing problems as the system is proving useless as the images are so poor.

I was advised to upgrade to the AVM208 to improve the picture but that camera is not a lot better. Number plates are a blur from 5m.

Is it the cameras or the DVR that is giving the quality issues?

Any advice gratefully received.

Martin

I'll have to check. I haven't got a monitor with BNC connector to hand. I'll have to see what I can find today.

Thanks for advice.

Hi,

I managed to link up one of the 1/4 cameras up to a TV with a phono connection. The picture is 100% better like this. I can read number plates from 10m clearly.

If it's the DVR, how do I up the clarity or reduce the MPEG4 compression to improve the picture?

Thanks for the advice.

Martin

I am not familiar with this system, but what is the resolution settings of the dvr, camera quality settings on the dvr? if you max these you will have less record/ storage time but the picture should improve.

Hi,

I don't know if I should have it set to CIF or which for best quality. Length of recording is not that much of issue. In the menus it says it is set to best.

Is there a setup for DVRs which produces best resolution? Is CIF the best setting?

I have a feeling that DVRs with the MPEG4 compression are a duff deal for quality CCTV. Am I right or just using poor equipment? If necessary I can change equipment as cost is not the issue, just the fact it does the job.

Thanks