madcowusa

Pelco 35x PTZ working great but won't PTZ

Can I ask for some advice getting a new Pelco PTZ to respond? I have a Spectra IV SE 35x in an environmental housing hooked up to a DVR card. The camera is on my desk with the lower dome off and up and running. Upon turning on the power the camera rotates, tilts and appears to be going through a self check regimen and seconds later gives the on screen configuration done message. The picture looks fantastic and I can adjust via the DVR software the brightness, hue, gain etc. However it will NOT respond to any PTZ movement requests when I click on the DVR card's software to move the lense.

The Pelco manual has been of little help to me as it assumes one has a joystick/keyboard controller unit connected and dives straight into the Pelco on screen commands and how to set up everything - motion detection, window blanking etc. I cannot get to any of these commands via my keyboard, a virtual keyboard, the DVR software or any other method. I cannot even get the Pelco start up config message off the screen.

I fiddled for hours with selecting Pelco D and P protocols, camera dip switches, baud rates and am stumped. I'm beginning to suspect I may need to run another cable via RS232 -> RS485 to get control of the PTZ function? I can easily run cat 5e to the camera if this is the case, but know nothing about hooking that up.

The camera is currently back to factory default dip switch settings, everything is off except SW1-1 which the manual indicated Pelco D protocol at 2400 baud. I've matched these parameters within the Avermedia software (COM =1, ID=1, Baud Rate = 2400, Protocol: Pelco-D ).

MY SETUP:

Pelco Spectra IV 35x model DD4CBW35 (New)

Pelco pendant dome with heater and blower

Pelco MCS 8-5E 24VAC power supply

AverMedia NV7000H hybrid DVR card (supports Pelco D and P)

Camera connected via existing RG6Quad shield cable using rg6q BNC connectors and 14 gauge power cable over very short distance

Dedicated Q6600 box

Any pointers really appreciated. I'm very close to having this thing up and running. Do I need to run another cable to use the PTZ functionality or can this unit be controlled via RG6Q coax alone using DVR software? As you can tell I'm new at this and over my head a bit after great success with a used axis IP camera. Thanks.

Can I ask for some advice getting a new Pelco PTZ to respond? I have a Spectra IV SE 35x in an environmental housing hooked up to a DVR card. The camera is on my desk with the lower dome off and up and running. Upon turning on the power the camera rotates, tilts and appears to be going through a self check regimen and seconds later gives the on screen configuration done message. The picture looks fantastic and I can adjust via the DVR software the brightness, hue, gain etc. However it will NOT respond to any PTZ movement requests when I click on the DVR card's software to move the lense.

The Pelco manual has been of little help to me as it assumes one has a joystick/keyboard controller unit connected and dives straight into the Pelco on screen commands and how to set up everything - motion detection, window blanking etc. I cannot get to any of these commands via my keyboard, a virtual keyboard, the DVR software or any other method. I cannot even get the Pelco start up config message off the screen.

I fiddled for hours with selecting Pelco D and P protocols, camera dip switches, baud rates and am stumped. I'm beginning to suspect I may need to run another cable via RS232 -> RS485 to get control of the PTZ function? I can easily run cat 5e to the camera if this is the case, but know nothing about hooking that up.

The camera is currently back to factory default dip switch settings, everything is off except SW1-1 which the manual indicated Pelco D protocol at 2400 baud. I've matched these parameters within the Avermedia software (COM =1, ID=1, Baud Rate = 2400, Protocol: Pelco-D ).

MY SETUP:

Pelco Spectra IV 35x model DD4CBW35 (New)

Pelco pendant dome with heater and blower

Pelco MCS 8-5E 24VAC power supply

AverMedia NV7000H hybrid DVR card (supports Pelco D and P)

Camera connected via existing RG6Quad shield cable using rg6q BNC connectors and 14 gauge power cable over very short distance

Dedicated Q6600 box

Any pointers really appreciated. I'm very close to having this thing up and running. Do I need to run another cable to use the PTZ functionality or can this unit be controlled via RG6Q coax alone using DVR software? As you can tell I'm new at this and over my head a bit after great success with a used axis IP camera. Thanks.

Yes u need rs232 to 485 converter and data cable from DVR to camera

you need to use some cat 5 to the dome this is how you get pelco p to work. Set the baud rate normally to 4800 but sometime 9600. address the unit as 1 and give that a go.

Thanks for the help! RS232>RS485 converter for $8 on its way to me.

I am assuming I need to utilize just two wires of the cat5e attaching one end to the D+ and D- at the converter and then the other end at the camera's back box attaching to Rx+ and Rx-. Like this.

RS485 D+..................................Rx+ (at camera)

RS485 D-...................................Rx- (at camera)

On the converter there are also terminals for GND and 5-12V. At the camera back box there is also terminals for Tx- and Tx+. I assume I don't need to use those to get ptz functioning? There's also a terminal block indicating UPT+ and UTP-.

The Pelco literature is very well done, but definitely not intended for a ptz noob like me. I can't wait to get this camera up on a wall and will report back with my success or failure in a few days when the fine Chinese made converter arrives.

Edit: Reporting back. Just wanted to close this out by saying thanks for the help. Received the converter today and hooked it up as above and everything works fantastic now with full Avermedia software ptz control. I'll post some video of the Spectra IV SE in action when I get a chance.

I'll post some video of the Spectra IV SE in action when I get a chance.

If anybody is interested I posted some clips (4 so far) to YouTube of the Pelco DD4CBW35 PTZ in action. Obviously the actual video is better quality, but this gives an idea of the capabilities. I'm very happy with the unit so far. It was a new in box item from a reputable Ebay seller that cost $1100. Loads of fun for the money and it does serve a legitimate purpose besides my personal entertainment.

I can't post links yet, so search youtube for "pelco spectra" The cameara is the Spectra IV SE in the results.