simo923

Strange request - Audio only solution

Hi Guys,

I'm having good luck with my 64 channel video audio system using GV-2008 cards but now i have another system to build. It really shouldnt be that hard but finding the equipment isn't proving very fruitful.

I need to be able to record upto 200 microphones positioned around a facility. Mic and pre amp is not a problem as we build our own but getting all those Mics into a pc isn't looking easy.

Yes, i could network several Geovision systems and just record the audio and then use CMS to listen to all 200 but i would rather just get an audio system rather than video/audio and then not use the video side.

Any suggestions at all would be great.

I'm assuming you need every mic recorded separately, so using a mixer to blend the mics down to a few channels is out?

Your best bet might be to look into devices designed for studio use, which can have 8, 16, 24, 32 or more inputs (like this one, for example: http://www.dv247.com/invt/30292/). That might be overkill, quality-wise, but it's probably your most efficient off-the-shelf option. The downside is that most of them have an equal number of outputs and are usually balanced I/O, which add to the cost and are probably unnecessary for your purposes.

Of course, if you're building your own pre-amps already, you may be ahead to simply design and build your own 200-input encoder device...

Excellent, excellent, thanks.

That was just what i was looking for. A good start anyway. I did manage to find a 190 channel system, consisting of 4 servers but they wanted £65000 for it. I nearly ended up paying it too. Ill just build my own now. Thanks. Now just to get the software sorted but that should not be a problem now that i have found a card.

Well, keep in mind that's just shy of £1000 for 24 channels... to make 200 you'll need 8 of those, so there you're up to £8000. You'll need some serious processing power to handle that as well - keep in mind that while raw video itself is a lot higher bandwidth than audio, most DVRs are using hardware compression, reduced framerates, and motion-detection recording, all of which help reduce the "continual" demands on CPU and I/O. Unless you have software that only records audio when there's sound detected, you're going to be recording at full bandwidth, on all channels, all the time, which will require a LOT of CONSTANT processing power and some pretty fast disk I/O.

And keep in mind, too, if you can only run one card in a PC (depending on the card's driver design and the software), then you're looking at multiple PCs, also adding to the cost...

And of course, there's the software cost, as you're looking at a somewhat specialized usage, and may require some fairly custom, and therefore fairly pricey, software...

All told, £65,000 may not be too bad for a ready-made solution, once you factor in your total costs and the time involved to "roll your own".

Just something to consider...

Hi!

You have a screenshot of your 64 channel Geovision system?

JD

Hi Guys,

I'm having good luck with my 64 channel video audio system using GV-2008 cards but now i have another system to build. It really shouldnt be that hard but finding the equipment isn't proving very fruitful.

I need to be able to record upto 200 microphones positioned around a facility. Mic and pre amp is not a problem as we build our own but getting all those Mics into a pc isn't looking easy.

Yes, i could network several Geovision systems and just record the audio and then use CMS to listen to all 200 but i would rather just get an audio system rather than video/audio and then not use the video side.

Any suggestions at all would be great.