Sign in to follow this  
SAN

KALATEL DVR HDD PROBLEM

I Have Kalatel DVR, recently it shuts off itself and says HDD not detected. I re-started and work fine for a hours and did same again. Any idea or just get a new HDD ?? Also I can just swap HDD

Thanks

San

I Have Kalatel DVR, recently it shuts off itself and says HDD not detected. I re-started and work fine for a hours and did same again. Any idea or just get a new HDD ?? Also I can just swap HDD

Thanks

San

What is the hard drive configuration at the moment or do you know how much hard drive space you had with this system?

Most common problem with what you experienced is that the hard drive or multiple hard drives failed. No specific reasons why except, with hard drive, it is always when they fail rather if they fail.

Dependent on your existing firmware, you can only install certain size ATA or sometimes referred as PATA drives. Most common they used in the past were 250GB and Maxtor drives that were known to fail more often than usual... or Western Digital that actually worked great.

Depending if you can upgrade your firmware (has everything to do with type of motherboard you have and how old it really is), then you can add more hard drive space than initially installed. It is not uncommon to have these systems upgraded to 2.0TB internal storage. If you can achieve upgrading the firmware, the it will be a breeze..

Once you are successful to replace the drives, another recommendation is to replace the external power supply to their latest version with 7.5A capability. This way you will not be shorted on power requirement for additional hard drives.

While at it, clean the interior completely from dust and dirt and replace the system fans... they are easy to find and available in the market.

Lastly, once you change the drives, you have to run yet another utility allowing it to install FAT32 application that is required for external communication with this type of systems and also for "burn" video content on CDs. This utility is commonly available from GE's website...

I hope this helps and let us know

Thanks guys, I have two running kalatel dvr both have two 160 maxtor. in one i was hearing clicking sounds like relay clicking. and others one loosing data in between for no reason.

Just bought WD 320 HDD and install on both this one has a 8mb buffer and 7200 rpm seems like work faster when do remote search.

In one DVR only 160 gb recognized and other recognized 320 all.

Thanks again.

san