stabmaster

4 camera surveillance system for an RV park. Please help!

that's a nice camera, it should do the trick for you, but you should consider getting the lens somewhere else, since they are pretty expensive there.

Okay I think I found a camera that will do what I need it to. It fills out all of the requirements, except for the resolution. It has 480 lines of day/night resolution instead of 480 day/570 night (which costs about 2.5x the cost for each camera).

Here's the one I found:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/easysecuritydepot/toik1ccdhida.html

plus one of the various auto iris varifocal lenses.

Is this a peicer or is it going to do the trick? After i tackle this, I gotta figure out how to do the video transmission (yikes).

I'm landing on the SDVR-4-40 unless there is an equally functional system for SIGNIFICANTLY less.

dont know how well the toshiba is, but its a brand name, so should be good (ask AVCONSULTING, hes maybe tried them before), ive used the sanyo before in the day night area and is good. 480TVl is fine.

Phew.. thank God i can get out of this camera mess without paying an exhorbant amount of cash. I was looking around and most day/night hi res are like $400. When you buy 4, it starts getting expensive!

I'll look around for the varifocals, some casings, and... yes... wireless transmitters. I'm going to purchase wireless transmitters/recievers and 2 cameras. We decided to get two up front and install them on the big money spots immediately (we're adding mailboxes, change machine, and candy vending machine). We can't put all the $$ up front for the extra 2 units right now- we at least want to test drive the cameras and transmitters before we jump into anything else. I think we might go with some dummy cameras for the dummy tenants. The tenants were basically harassing the on-site manager at his home last week, and as an experiment we put up a dummy camera and a note that says not to contact the manager during off hours unless it is an emergency. Every single tenant walked up, saw the camera, and walked away. These people respond incredibly well to bluffs. We'll let the camera trick sink in here before we decide if/where other cameras are necessary.

So I'm going to cross my fingers and give the transmitters a shot. We talked it over and there are serious problems with burying conduit. First, we willl likely run into other line. Second, we will likely be doing some landscaping in the future. Third is the "plus" of the mobility of the cameras. If i can swap a dummy with an authentic, we can keep these people on their toes. So... if indeed these toshibas don't have a serious problem, i think we will give 'em a shot.

Now I am looking at the final peice: transmitters/recievers. Rory- you mentioned getteing extra recievers. Now for one thing, these units aren't usually listed with any brand name to speak of. Second is the issue of how many cameras per transmitter/reciever. I assume 1 camera to 1 transmitter. Are there recievers that pick up 4 cameras/channels? If so, i would get at least 1, for expandability. Rory- you mentioned that I would want another reciever just to be sure i got a clear signal? I'm not sure i completely follow.

hi

no, just 1 receiver for 1 transmitter. You can get a larger antennas for the receivers or tranmistters if you have issues. I had some good experience with great support from that web site I listed, www.videotransmitters.com, which is VIDEOCOM.They have alot of tech support on thier site, like how to install everything etc. They respond quick also with support issues.

Yeah, most day nights are around $400 for real. Get the Toshiba, see how it goes.

Rory

Phew.. thank God i can get out of this camera mess without paying an exhorbant amount of cash. I was looking around and most day/night hi res are like $400. When you buy 4, it starts getting expensive!

I'll look around for the varifocals, some casings, and... yes... wireless transmitters. I'm going to purchase wireless transmitters/recievers and 2 cameras. We decided to get two up front and install them on the big money spots immediately (we're adding mailboxes, change machine, and candy vending machine). We can't put all the $$ up front for the extra 2 units right now- we at least want to test drive the cameras and transmitters before we jump into anything else. I think we might go with some dummy cameras for the dummy tenants. The tenants were basically harassing the on-site manager at his home last week, and as an experiment we put up a dummy camera and a note that says not to contact the manager during off hours unless it is an emergency. Every single tenant walked up, saw the camera, and walked away. These people respond incredibly well to bluffs. We'll let the camera trick sink in here before we decide if/where other cameras are necessary.

So I'm going to cross my fingers and give the transmitters a shot. We talked it over and there are serious problems with burying conduit. First, we willl likely run into other line. Second, we will likely be doing some landscaping in the future. Third is the "plus" of the mobility of the cameras. If i can swap a dummy with an authentic, we can keep these people on their toes. So... if indeed these toshibas don't have a serious problem, i think we will give 'em a shot.

Now I am looking at the final peice: transmitters/recievers. Rory- you mentioned getteing extra recievers. Now for one thing, these units aren't usually listed with any brand name to speak of. Second is the issue of how many cameras per transmitter/reciever. I assume 1 camera to 1 transmitter. Are there recievers that pick up 4 cameras/channels? If so, i would get at least 1, for expandability. Rory- you mentioned that I would want another reciever just to be sure i got a clear signal? I'm not sure i completely follow.

cool. actually, i am one of those yagi nerds who likes to make my own antennas- so if I have an issue i'll probably take pleasure in playing with some sort of omnidirectional design I have already built for 2.4GHz. I even have some friends who are yagi ubernerds who can probably get me antennas that are more 'professional' (e.g. not made from a Yuban container) for pretty cheap. Of course if my experiments fail I would go the traditional route and buy one

I'm also trying to figure out how the add-on lens prices are expensive? I looked around and within 10 bucks those seem to be the going rate (5-50mm is $80-115, 3.9-8mm is $35-60 more or less). I also have no idea if i'm getting a decent brand (or if it matters).

cool. actually, i am one of those yagi nerds who likes to make my own antennas- so if I have an issue i'll probably take pleasure in playing with some sort of omnidirectional design I have already built for 2.4GHz. I even have some friends who are yagi ubernerds who can probably get me antennas that are more 'professional' (e.g. not made from a Yuban container) for pretty cheap. Of course if my experiments fail I would go the traditional route and buy one

I'm also trying to figure out how the add-on lens prices are expensive? I looked around and within 10 bucks those seem to be the going rate (5-50mm is $80-115, 3.9-8mm is $35-60 more or less). I also have no idea if i'm getting a decent brand (or if it matters).

computar, tamron, or fujinon are good brands of lens. Fujinon is my personal choice but costs more than tamron, but have smaller physical sizes.

Also, make sure you get a good housing also, Kalatel has some good weatherproof housings, cost around $81 with a sunshield. Any other good brand, pelco, etc, around that price range, is good. Stay away from $20 housings, they dont stand up well against rain etc.

EMI also has some good vandal proof housings, stainless steel etc.

rory

Cool. Just a little more work and i'll be able to have this thing laid out.

How about those MVL-10 units for wireless transmission? http://www.supercircuits.com/STORE/prodinfo.asp?number=MVL10-WR&variation=&aitem=2&mitem=21

The videocomm units appear to be really expensive. They aren't quoted much online (i assume that they are not authorized to post online).. but from the prices i saw, it was much more than the MVL-10.

Also, the MVL-10 operates at 12V, which makes sense (whereas the videocomms run at 9v, which hardly makes sense).

I noticed that the toshiba IK-644A has just about the same spec's as the IK-6400A, but the 6400-A doesn't appear to be listed on the Toshiba website (indicating that it is discontinued). The 644A is 40 bucks more, and it just might be worth it. at this price i could move over to the Everfocus EQ500 ($195). The specs appear very similar to the toshiba units. The one "plus" is that the Everfocus operates at 12V, just like the MVL-10 transmitter. I assume that i would have to get either 2 power supplies or a voltage regulator to run the 24V toshiba in tandem with the MVL-10 (If it ain't one thing, its another!).

So, for the peace of mind of it all, the Everfocus is at the top of my list. I would like to look deeper into the issue before i commit, though.

Cool. Just a little more work and i'll be able to have this thing laid out.

How about those MVL-10 units for wireless transmission? http://www.supercircuits.com/STORE/prodinfo.asp?number=MVL10-WR&variation=&aitem=2&mitem=21

The videocomm units appear to be really expensive. They aren't quoted much online (i assume that they are not authorized to post online).. but from the prices i saw, it was much more than the MVL-10.

Also, the MVL-10 operates at 12V, which makes sense (whereas the videocomms run at 9v, which hardly makes sense).

I noticed that the toshiba IK-644A has just about the same spec's as the IK-6400A, but the 6400-A doesn't appear to be listed on the Toshiba website (indicating that it is discontinued). The 644A is 40 bucks more, and it just might be worth it. at this price i could move over to the Everfocus EQ500 ($195). The specs appear very similar to the toshiba units. The one "plus" is that the Everfocus operates at 12V, just like the MVL-10 transmitter. I assume that i would have to get either 2 power supplies or a voltage regulator to run the 24V toshiba in tandem with the MVL-10 (If it ain't one thing, its another!).

So, for the peace of mind of it all, the Everfocus is at the top of my list. I would like to look deeper into the issue before i commit, though.

Video comm only makes wireless, thats their specialty, so they will be much better, but yes, more expensive. They use 12v also.

gotta run, there is a bush fire next door! really, took fire truck 20 minites they just turned up.

hey, hey

When you get housings, you gotta go PELCO, nothing else, expecially if you have a high rate of vandalism.

Rory, I'm going to send GE an e-mail to hire you as a sales consultant

Video comm only makes wireless, thats their specialty, so they will be much better, but yes, more expensive. They use 12v also.

gotta run, there is a bush fire next door! really, took fire truck 20 minites they just turned up.

I hope your house didn't burn down! I've been there before...

Here's what I've come up with for my system:

Kalatel SDVR-4-40 $1495

Toshiba IK-6400A Color day/night camera (2) at $159 each

1/3" CCD

480 lines resolution

0.2 Lux sensitivity

12VDC operation

accepts CS type lenses

dimentions: 6.2cm x 5cm x 11.3cm (this is a spec for the IK-644A)

5.5W max power draw

Tamron 5-50mm Auto Iris $127.95

Auto Iris (DC)

CS Mount

Aspherical

1/3"

Tamron 2.8-12mm Auto Iris $69.95

Auto Iris (DC)

CS Mount

Aspherical

1/3"

Pelco EH2508 8" Aluminum Camera Housing (2) at $61.95 each

Water/Dust proof

Accepts cameras with fixed focal length or "or Motorized Zoom Lens

Accepts camera and lens combinations up to 15.8cm x 7cm x 7cm

MLV10-WR Weatherproof 2.4GHz transmitter (2) at $299.95 each

4 channel selectable

12 volt DC

700' range

total:

$2734.70

shipping ground: 9.81+32.23+14.12=$46.35

shipping air (2-3 day): 30.14+53.94+31.83= $115.91

tax: 0+0+0!

GRAND total:

$2781.05 (ground)

$2850.61 (2-3 day)

hey, hey

When you get housings, you gotta go PELCO, nothing else, expecially if you have a high rate of vandalism.

Rory, I'm going to send GE an e-mail to hire you as a sales consultant

actually, pelco housings are overrated, emi has better for vandal proof.

but check out this site, the best line of housings available, and unlike pelco AND others, they actually look good!

http://www.videotec.com

but unless I need vandal proof, I just use the manufacturer of the cameras housings, like kalatels as they look nice, and are water sealed, i have mine on the ocean here.

Edited by Guest

cool, dont forget your 12v / 24v power supplies, and bnc/rca adaptors, or connectors, but they are cheap, andd can get them locally anyway.

I hope your house didn't burn down! I've been there before...

Here's what I've come up with for my system:

Kalatel SDVR-4-40 $1495

Toshiba IK-6400A Color day/night camera (2) at $159 each

1/3" CCD

480 lines resolution

0.2 Lux sensitivity

12VDC operation

accepts CS type lenses

dimentions: 6.2cm x 5cm x 11.3cm (this is a spec for the IK-644A)

5.5W max power draw

Tamron 5-50mm Auto Iris $127.95

Auto Iris (DC)

CS Mount

Aspherical

1/3"

Tamron 2.8-12mm Auto Iris $69.95

Auto Iris (DC)

CS Mount

Aspherical

1/3"

Pelco EH2508 8" Aluminum Camera Housing (2) at $61.95 each

Water/Dust proof

Accepts cameras with fixed focal length or "or Motorized Zoom Lens

Accepts camera and lens combinations up to 15.8cm x 7cm x 7cm

MLV10-WR Weatherproof 2.4GHz transmitter (2) at $299.95 each

4 channel selectable

12 volt DC

700' range

total:

$2734.70

shipping ground: 9.81+32.23+14.12=$46.35

shipping air (2-3 day): 30.14+53.94+31.83= $115.91

tax: 0+0+0!

GRAND total:

$2781.05 (ground)

$2850.61 (2-3 day)

Well, it looks like you are on your way

as always, we are really cool people over here on the board, and if you need any help installing, you can always let us know

but what you got, it looks good, the price is not bad considering.

awesome. Thanks for your help everyone! I am making some minor changes witht he housings and mounts, wires and power supplies... but i think i got the core of the system figured out.

we have a couple of cheezy old security cameras that are going to be mounted to the office, just to see if that's a location we might want to consider for monitoring activity (since we have expandability, and it takes about 10' of cable and 1 hole). If we decide to ix-nay instead of upgrade the office cam, we will leave the dummy housing up there for sure. These people are afraid of electronics!

Oh and i'll be sure to post some images of the project since you guys were so good and patient with me. This forum is obviously just going to grow indefinitely as CCTV gets more popular (from what i understand, it never really caught on, but it's due up). Also, I plan to keep an eye on the industry and if demand blows up for security here in California, I wouuld consider taking some courses and running my own little CCTV proprietorship. There's just nothing better than working for yourself and tinkering around with electronics, eh?

Long time no see, but I figure I'd give you an update. The syste was flawless, until rain destroyed the wireless ML-10 transmitters and recievers. Those things are junk. Everything else was great. There has been no crime to speak of in the past year and a half or more. We don't need the security anymore!

In the mean time, we caught a few bad people, a few missing people. It was great. We were able to show incidents to the police if they needed it. We also had a bit of power over the cops because we had info they wanted and we didn't need to give it to them. It was great..

anyways it has been dismantled and i'm selling the components. If anyone needs a kalatel dvr multiplexer (the one in this thread), i posted it on ebay but i'm not very good at posting things so it probably won't go for much. May want to bid on it. it's here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230183894173

thanks for all your help those years back. it made my family's life easier! be proud of yourselves!