callsecuritynow

help with camera selection

Our maintenance department has a problem with fuel theft and illegal dumping. They installed a security camera system, consisting of a DVR and 2 cameras, to try to better protect the area. However, they are not satisfied with the cameras which were installed. The dumpster and fuel tanks are too far away to make anything out clearly.

The first picture is the camera covering the dumpster. A new concrete pad is currently being poured. However, the dumpster will be placed behind the white work truck. Total distance from the camera to the dumpsters 155 feet.

The second picture is the camera covering the fuel tanks. They are behind the green fencing and the total distance from camera to tanks is 170 feet.

I have been reading up on cameras with a 22x optical zoom/10 digital zoom. But I'm still learning about cameras and DVR systems. Any suggestions on the type of cameras that would work in this application?

20081111150115.jpg.f566798c290a273e66698e51e3c886d9.jpg

20081111150047.jpg.329cd2cf8bdf1e19a80608e23c96f1e4.jpg

You need more cameras

Really? The only areas they want to view are the tanks and dumpsters. They dont need to see the the driveway, parking lot, or maintenance shops. I think one camera on the fuel tanks and one on the dumpsters should work.

On first glance it appears that the cameras are much too far away from the items needing surveillance. Can the cameras be placed at the far end of the building?

I have suggested moving the cameras to the ending of the building. Running the wires wouldn't be an issue because conduit is already installed and plenty of locations to get power. However, they asked me to look into just replacing the cameras where they are currently installed.

Do you know of a camera that will work?

Normally you would want to get the cameras fairly close to the action, to minimize overall cost of the camera hardware incl wiring, and get the best picture. However, given your constraints you will need every bit of a 22x zoom plus likely a remote control, and so the cameras will cost a lot more.

I don't know specific brands or models but there are cameras made from standard Sony modules that have a remote controlled lens and other parameters, incl night mode. I've only had limited experience with these myself but they are quite impressive. Perhaps someone else can indicate a suitable model. Once your boss sees the price he or she may be more inclined to just run a longer wire and make do with the existing cameras.

Hopefully you are not expecting to identify faces or license plate numbers, that's another step.

Just to scare people off, if you are in an isolated area away from homes you could hook up an outdoor alarm to the DVR alarm output, to be triggered on motion, and on a timer to operate outside of business hours.

The specs on the camera the department is looking at buying are:

480 lines of resolutio w/ Sony Super HAD chipset

60 long-range IF LEDs 300 foot range

22x optical zoom & 10x digital zoom(auto-focal 220x zoom)

My concern is when they are installed, they will still need to move the cameras closer.

Edited by Guest