bcs

Wireless video link

Hi,

What are the recommend wireless 2.4ghz video links that are tired and tested in the market today?

And that they would have to ability to transmit up to 4 cameras

Are you talking about a video extender, or are you talking about wireless camera transmitters, and receivers?

For xmtr / rcvr packages you need to the distance between the two, and how many walls you are going to penetrate.

Will this be b/w video, or color?

Is security of the essence, or is budget of the essence?

http://scorpiontheater.com/wireless.aspx

have a similar problem I wish to transmit 4 color cameras using transmitters and receivers , furthest camera will be 80 meters a way and thru 3 wall maximum, so looking at what options are available , mid priced , cheers

WARNING:

A wireless camera is not true wireless camera!! It needs power. You will have to run a wire to the camera to power it. You can use a battery to power it. They have 9 volt clip to power the camera. You will have to change the battery everyday! The battery setup is designed for short term use such as the few hours while you are away to catch a "bad nanny".

If you have to run a wire for power why not run a wire for video? Wireless cameras are great for unattached buildings. You may have a garage, or a shed that you would like to have a camera to guard. The garage already has power, and the wireless camera will save you from digging up your yard to bury a wire!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First you will take a receiver and you will need to make sure that it is on the same "channel" as the camera.

Look at the camera. There should be a sticker or something that says 1, or 2, or 3, or 4. If it has a punch through the number, or a check mark on it then that is the channel that you will set the receiver to.

If you cannot tell what channel the camera is on then put the camera next to the receiver, and go through the channels until you see the video.

The yellow connector (USA composite) is the video out. Connect an RCA cable to the yellow connector. On the other end you will have to get an RCA to BNC adapter. The adapter goes on the DVR camera input, and the RCA cable plugs in to the adapter.

Note: Some receivers will lose the channel setting when the power goes out, and you will have to manually reset the channel back to the one that you need to make it operate. You may want to have it on a battery back up to avoid short term power loss situations.

Note: In the USA the 2.4 GHz frequency is the same frequency used with wireless internet 802.11. You may have to change the wireless router that you use for computers to a different "channel" to avoid interfering with your wireless cameras.

Note: The distance on the package of a wireless cam is for direct line of sight from receiver, and the camera antenna. In other words if you penetrate a wall with the receiver on one side, and the camera on the other then you will have to move them closer together in order to keep the energy level up so that the receiver can see the camera video.

I cut the package distance in half when selecting a camera. If it says 300 feet (USA) then use it only good for 150 feet.

If you need 400 feet for your project then you will want to select a wireless camera that has 1000 feet line of sight.

The more walls that you penetrate then the closer you will have to get the camera, and the receiver to make it work.

Here is a trick. Put the receiver on the most outer wall closest to the wireless camera, and run wiring back to the DVR. The outside camera will give the receiver the best signal, and make your system trouble free.

In the USA the highest wattage that you can use without a license is one watt. If you go over one watt then you are in violation of FCC Rules, or you need to get a license to operate that "radio".

You can use low wattage systems with no problems. Use directional antennas that point at each other to give you direct line of sight, and you get a better signal output compared to an omnidirectional antennas. Also raise the antennas over treelines, and rooftops to get better reception!

One of the tricks to getting a wireless camera system to work is to put the receiver as close to the camera as you can get, then running a wire back to the recording device (VCR, DVR, or a PC based DVR).

If you are getting fuzzy pictures, or you have rolling black bars through the video then you do not have enough "energy" to make the receiver work. You will have to move the receiver closer to the camera, or buy a higher wattage system.

Most cameras with a built in wireless transmitter will be about 100 milliwatts. This is the same as a child's walkie talkie.

You will have to watch out for cordless phones. What frequency does yours work on? 2.4Ghz? This will interfere with your cameras! You may have to buy a new cordless phone that works on 5.8 Ghz, or you will have to buy a wireless camera system that operates at 5.8Ghz.

There is just as much interference on 5.8Ghz as there is on 2.4Ghz.

If you need more wattage then you will have to buy a regular camera, and then buy a separate transmitter, and receiver package. Wireless transmitter, and receiver as a package will run about $1000.00 for a set at MSRP. At the lowest I doubt that it would go below $400.00 for the set. If it is cheaper then you have a value, or you are getting something that you are not wanting. Be careful.

I would suggest that you hire someone who can design, and install a wireless system for you. This is not a DIY project.

If you have talked to those that have bought, and installed wireless cameras then you will hear how it did not work, and what a cheap piece of junk it is. NO. It is because they misunderstand how it works, or they are trying to get the system to do what it was not designed to do.

If you want a cheap wireless camera then be warned that it cannot put out any heat, or it will destroy the CCD chip. If you need more wattage then the transmitter has to come out of the camera. That is the rule.

They probably stuck the receiver in the back room where the VCR is, and the camera is out at the front of the house. They probably have 3, or 4 walls between the camera, and the receiver. Read the package. It will say line of sight. Hmm. This means that the camera transmitter antenna has to see the receiver's antenna. If the camera is outside, and the receiver is inside then how can they see each other? There is the first failure. The second is too far of a distance. If they had put the receiver on the back side of the wall where the camera was, and if they had ran the wire through the attic, and down the wall to the VCR, or DVR then they would have had no problems at all. They did a poor design, and a poor install.

Wireless is just a tool in the installers tool box. I would recommend a wired camera first then a wireless camera second.

L BAND (1240MHz - 1300MHz) 950MHz CAMERAS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L_band

S BAND (2 - 4 GHz) 2.4GHz CAMERAS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S_band

C BAND (4 - 8 GHz) 5.8GHz CAMERAS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_band

Ch1 = 2.413 GHz, Ch2 = 2.432 GHz, CH3 = 2.451 GHz, CH4 = 2.470 GHz

Wi Spy 2.4 ANALYZER! (Great for setting up cameras, and for debugging)!

http://www.metageek.net/products/wi-spy_24x

Chanalyzer 3.0 for Wi-Spy 2.4x (Computer Software for Wi Spy)

http://www.metageek.net/products/chanalyzer-3

http://scorpiontheater.com/wireless.aspx

Transmitters today can work on both NLOS (non line of sight) and LOS (line of sight).

Chosen the right one, depends on a number of factors:

1) NLOS or LOS

2) Distance from the RX to the TX

Alot of new TX/RX technologies are available and depending on whether you using analog vs IP makes a difference as well.

I have used VideoCom systems and Trango systems in the past and then used the low end systems from FWV with success for short distances.

Keep in mind, LOS has to be on the mark from TX to RX , as if you are off as much as 3 - 4 degrees, you will have little or no signal to deal with.

When I place covert cameras that are wireless in buildings for my cllients, and I use LOS TX's, I will bring the RX closer to the TX by coax run back to the DVR to solve any issues of signal integrity!

Try looking at the Inscape Data product line. They have cameras specially made for wireless installs. They even have a fairly inexpensive wireless AP. PM me for pricing as we offer that product at my company WAV.