Sign in to follow this  
khye

Zoom Module fail?

Does anyone have an idea what may be wrong here:

I have been using a 10x Mini Speed dome for the last few days without any problems, I can zoom, pan and tilt using the DVR recorder or the remote control.

Quite impressive pictures also..

Normally when you power the dome on, it first goes through this blue screen of checks which lasts about a minute and finishes with the camera panning around the room to learn its positioning then the lens moves back to the parked position.

But this morning I turned on the system and found that the PTZ power on test screen is showing the "Zoom module" test as FAIL

This had previously been showing as "OK"

91775_1.jpg

Here is a picture of the camera when opened: (the red circle just shows the resistor for positioning)

91775_2.jpg

My main problem is that once the "Zoom module" is listed as FAIL, the test moves on to the home teaching part, the camera moves around the room and comes back to its resting position then the camera just powers off.

I thought it might be a glitch so I turned on a second dome I had in the shop and to my surprize I found this second camera also fails at the "Zoom Module" check and powers itself off also.

The camera was working, I have not changed anything other than powering it off yesterday same as every other day..

Any ideas how to fix this, i would be most grateful to anyone that may be able to help me out with this..

Best regards,

Khye

I dont see a "TX Connection" or "Cam COMM" in the power-on (menu) diagnostic? From your picture I assume that the ZOOM Module is the communication test. Since both cams failed I would start checking your terminations/RS-control at the DVR-controller. Ive used quite a lot of Mini 10x PTZs and avoid turning them on and off unless need to reboot for a diagnostic or power failure. Seems that you may have a comm faut in the hardwire connection did you use the same control method-hardware when you tested the second PTZ? If so I would revisit the connections-wire. Also check that the voltage level is within the spec. sometimes that can cause abnormal cam operation and status. Good Luck- Regards

Thanks for the advise, very much appreciated...

I have found the problem....

When plugging the DC12V 2Amp power adaptor directly into the camera I find that it can pass the zoom module test and works perfectly.

However when running power over my siamese RG59/DV12V cable (75 or 100ft lengths) the camera fails every time.

So, I narrowed it down to a power issue at that point.

I then tried to use a 3Amp power adaptor instead and found that it actually works over the siamese cable.

I guess the cable was draining a bit of power to just under the necessary amount.

I didnt suspect power as being the issue as the dome did power on and it did rotate around without problems, I guess the zoom module needs a specific power level in order to pass its tests.

Ah well...it was something simple after all.

Glad you got it workin, when you install-setup its important to measure your voltage to spec of the cam and calculate your runs dependent on the type of PS and wire ga to insure a stable power source. As you noted jus because a cam will power up doesnt mean it will perform to its full ability without proper voltage, this is a common problem with IR type cams and PTZs with power demand changes as many use added devices such as blowers and heaters. regards