Sign in to follow this  
Jordan.Misner

Question about IP Cameras.

So to start; Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area, or seems absolutely silly to ask.. But, what exactly is an IP Camera?

Is an IP Camera just a mounted camera that routs to a router, and can be viewed via an IP Connection, such as h.t.t.p.:././.CameraIP./. and checking it out? Or is IP Some other kind of Acronym that I'm not getting?

In the case that an IP Camera is just a camera that can be accessed via an IP Connection (See above,) then.. What? I thought most Camera's hooked into a DVR Had this capability? I'm completely lost. ; ;

If I'm right about IP Cameras, then.. Do some DVR's take IP Cameras? Or, do IP Camera's have their own special DVR, or--yeah. Someone help me out here! I'm completely ignorant to all of this CCTV/DVR stuff.

Again, sorry if I sound like the "Cletus, the Hick" of this sort of stuff. ; ; But, I am looking to learn, so--learn me!

So to start; Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area, or seems absolutely silly to ask.. But, what exactly is an IP Camera?

Is an IP Camera just a mounted camera that routs to a router, and can be viewed via an IP Connection, such as h.t.t.p.:././.CameraIP./. and checking it out? Or is IP Some other kind of Acronym that I'm not getting?

In the case that an IP Camera is just a camera that can be accessed via an IP Connection (See above,) then.. What? I thought most Camera's hooked into a DVR Had this capability? I'm completely lost. ; ;

If I'm right about IP Cameras, then.. Do some DVR's take IP Cameras? Or, do IP Camera's have their own special DVR, or--yeah. Someone help me out here! I'm completely ignorant to all of this CCTV/DVR stuff.

Again, sorry if I sound like the "Cletus, the Hick" of this sort of stuff. ; ; But, I am looking to learn, so--learn me!

Pretty close. It has an onboard encoder and then a small embeded OS. So it's a network device that streams video.

So;

The IP Camera; Does it still need a DVR? After doing some research and talking with a supplier, I know that many DVR's themselves basically come with a mini-OS on them that acts as a web server (Usually UNIX/LINUX based.)

But, if the IP Camera's themselves have the miniature OS build into them, then would they need a DVR with the same function? It was to my understanding that if the DVR Had the OS/Web server function, any camera could be viewed via IP Connections. At my current contact, we're able to view camera's online buy using an Address in Internet Explorer that looks like;

Address/Subfolder/DVRIP_Range-IP_Range.htm?param1=IP/DNS&param2=Port&param3=Channels&param4=_Blank_&param5=_Blank_

So, does that mean the Cameras I'm viewing are all IP Cameras? Or is it just the DVR itself that can take any camera and view it via Address. I'm just curious if in order to view a camera online through a DVR, does it HAVE to be an IP Camera, or how exactly they work.

Thanks~

So;

The IP Camera; Does it still need a DVR? After doing some research and talking with a supplier, I know that many DVR's themselves basically come with a mini-OS on them that acts as a web server (Usually UNIX/LINUX based.)

But, if the IP Camera's themselves have the miniature OS build into them, then would they need a DVR with the same function? It was to my understanding that if the DVR Had the OS/Web server function, any camera could be viewed via IP Connections. At my current contact, we're able to view camera's online buy using an Address in Internet Explorer that looks like;

Address/Subfolder/DVRIP_Range-IP_Range.htm?param1=IP/DNS&param2=Port&param3=Channels&param4=_Blank_&param5=_Blank_

So, does that mean the Cameras I'm viewing are all IP Cameras? Or is it just the DVR itself that can take any camera and view it via Address. I'm just curious if in order to view a camera online through a DVR, does it HAVE to be an IP Camera, or how exactly they work.

Thanks~

An NVR does a couple of things. It records the video to a central location. It handles some of the higher functions. An IP camera can be viewed via a web browser. So can an IP camera. The major difference is the transmission method.