Sign in to follow this  
paranoid

Urgent asus p4c 800 edelux help !

Hi,

I have just booted up my new pc for the first time (no system yet) and im getting 3 long beeps from the speaker, this continues with no boot.

Ive checked all my cables etc does anyone know what this means ? I have never used asus before.

Cheers

Three beeps is usally that the ram isn't seated correctly. I'll check Asus's site to be more spefic.

Absolutely gutted!!!!

Big fat spark and a burnt out chip on the mobo. Ive built well over a hundred pc's and this is the first time ive had a problem like this.

Knew i should have stuck with msi

Uh-huh....you let the magic smoke out of the mobo. You're silly till proven otherwise.

What part did the spark come off of?

Uh-huh....you let the magic smoke out of the mobo. You're silly till proven otherwise.

Lol, that cheered me up. The chip is a tiny one to the right of the IE1394_2 port, nothing was plugged into this port.

What are my chances of a refund ?

I am so gutted

No contact whatsoever and I always wear an anti static wrist strap. I dont what this particular chip does but it blew while the speaker was dishing out its 3 bleeps.

As the subject title says 'dont touch ocz memory'. Out of curiosity I just placed my "cheap, unbranded, unrecommended' memory into the asus mobo (with dead chip) and it booted up fine !

Conclusion - mobo may not be totally dead ? My pc supplier is notorious for lengthy returns, refunds and replacements and thats why I was so angry in the first place.

This so called 'fastest and best memory on the market' is one to steer clear of in my opinion.

Obviously im sending the memory back but should I chance it with the mobo and still use it ?

Its a non profit installation at my parents house, I buy all my pc hardware from ebuyer.co.uk and although they have had many complaints I have never had any trouble.

If this tiny chip was a really important part of the mobo then surely the mobo would not boot at all, or maybe im just looking for excuses not to send it back.

I have just found numerous threads on forums talking about mobo's that will not boot with ocz memory

Im glad you agree, the chances of me getting a refund are slim because the burnout could be blamed on me and im really not in the mood for a drawn out battle.

The chip is actually part of the 2nd IEE 394 port (internal) and I hope it just means that the 2nd IEE channel is dead and nothing else. Im wondering if the IEE 394 socket on the mobo is badly soldered, anyway im not going near it.

Just phoned ocz uk and a guy answered who said 'we are closed' but agreed to a quick chat, I told him that both the asus board and an msi 875p neo board would not boot with his memory but would gladly boot with cheaper, inferior memory. He asked no questions and said he would issue me with an rma number tomorrow.

Me thinks they know all about this problem already

Thanks for the replies Thomas.

Hi might be a bit late now but...

I have just installed an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo, including setting up the in built RAID, all went smooth and running perfectly using Corsair TwinX Pro memory (2X 512) never seen anything so fast, this mobo even allows you to (relatively safely) overclock using built in tools, in fact its the best mobo I have used so far with a pentium processor

hope you sorted it out mate

I am using ASUS mobos all the time. They are the best! At least I think so

I've tried just about all of them (ASUS models). Some have minor diffects, but in general they are very stable, specially on 865PE chipset. And even better with ICH5 south bridge. Sometimes SATA doesn't work on some models. But that is fixed with BIOS update, or just boot from IDE and then install all drivers from the CD.

As to your problem... I would not use the mobo. I am not positive as of what affect it might have on your system - but if you had sparks flying out of your mobo...

You know - its a chain affect: some day you'll end up frying EVERYTHING that is powered through your mobo - not a good thing trust me.