peskypete

Possible to turn on/off PTZ from Geovision?

Hi,

I would like to be able to power on/off the PTZ camera at certain times of the day.

One way would be to use Windows Task scheduler and 'Hyperterminal' the correct protocol to the camera over the serial connection.

Anyone done this, this way or another?

Pete

I'm not sure I understand the question. "Off" as in no power? I doubt there is a command to do that. Since you have not provided any details about your camera, who knows? In the words of Johnny 5, "Need input".

Ok bike_rider, I'll eloborate, though this is probably not your area of expertise, but thanks anyway.

Geovision uses the COM port to control ANY ptz camera.

I can also send commands to the camera using the COM port (via hyperterminal) to P,T, Z and power on & off the camera (make, model is of no consequence).

You cannot access the COM port while Geovision is using it, so I have to exit Geovision first.

That means I would have to have a batch file to:

Exit Geovision,

Run Hyperterminal

Run a script to turn camera off

Enable Geovision again.

Then repeat everytime I want to cycle the camera power.

Anybody know if commands can be sent to the COM port WHILE Geovision is running, or know of another workaround please?

Pete,

You are right, when Geovision is holding the com port, you can't touch it with another program. If you can use the Geovision interface to shut down the camera, using GV's PTZ controls, I have a suggestion. mjtnet.com makes an very nice macro recorder. You can record the sequences to press all the on screen controls in GV to control the camera. The cool thing about this package is that it has image recognition. This means that you can make sure that something is displaying properly before issuing the next command.

You can then schedule when the macros execute to turn the power on/off.

FWIW, I don't think I can power on/'off my Panasonic PTZ through the GV interface. Yours must be a different camera.

Try a google for 'shared serial port' there are several apps out there that let you set up multiple 'virtual serial' ports that can go to the same real port. Each application can use one of the virtuals, but they end up at the same real port.

Not tried it to see if they are compatible with geovision though, have used one in the past a while ago to use a two satnav apps on one port though.

Hi,

Thanks for the input guys.

The camera does support power on/off, it's a Sony EVI-D30 and uses the Visca control set.

GV doesn't include a power on/off option with the PTZ controls, so the macro idea wouldn't work.

The shared serial port option sounds like the way to go. I'll investigate and reply in a few days when I get the chance to do so.

Getting there....

Pete