martinc

slow pan/tilt speed over the web

hello everyone,

I have a geovision card with a single everfocus ptz camera that I am testing. The pan/tilt speed is fine if I use the ptz control on the computer with dvr card. When I use the ptz controls on the web interface the movement is erratic and slow. Is it possible to configure the web ptz control to behave the same way as the local dvr interface?

You are stuck with the delay caused by the distances the signals travel. Even the big boys with lots of band width have to wait!!!

I should have mentioned that the delayed pan/tilt movement is happening over the local lan when using the web ptz controls. The dvr computer and the desktop computer are both on the same 1gb ethernet switch. I also installed the multicam remote viewer on the desktop computer. The results were the same, slow and jerky pan/tilt movement.

Latancy. When you send a packet over a network, it takes time to get from point A to point B. Check to see if your ethernet cards are set at half or full duplex. Make sure the router is set that way as well.

Edit "hosts" file to ensure you have the IP address of ALL your IP's listed. Tell me how that works out.

Also, what is the baud rate of the RS-485/DVR? Run a ping test. Is there a delay when you use the DVR to control the PTZ? What kind of Router are you using? As far as "cheap" Routers go, I tested out a few and found that all but the linksys are slow at handling multiple requests at the same time. Go straight into the DVR, bypass the router/switch to see if your speed increases.

There is very little latency as both of these computers are isolated on a single gigabit ethernet switch away from the other computers and the Internet. I sent a continuous ping test while viewing/moving the webcam, the delay was never more than 6ms. The streaming image displayed on the web interface is flawless. My problem is the responsiveness/behavior of the ptz controls. If I click and hold the left or right ptz button on dvr box the movement is flawless. If I do the same using the web/remote viewer applications the movement is slow and erratic. The pan/tilt stepper motor movement is fluid on the local dvr, but erratic (start/stop/start/stop) using the web interface. Is it possible to edit an ini or some setting in the web interface to allow for larger stepper motor movement?

The dvr box has a static ip address. I am typing in the private ip address of the box into the web browser and not the name of the box. I am using pelco d protocol set at 9600 baud rate with a gv-net card.

you need to get a keyboard for local, only use the network control for remote internet control.

Another way to have a solution for this problem is to have your PTZ camera setup for fixed views, its very easy to do and once you call it remote it goes, fast, and excatly to the point. This is what I normally do, because my customers always complain, and id very hard to explain them why, normally I setup some points before I start to explain them how to play with it. Most of my customers are very satisfied after this.