as5606

Increasing Record Time for Motion Detection - AVTECH 761

Hi,

I've got a AVTECH 761 with 4 cameras protecting my home. I have them motion sensing certain areas and it works fine but I want to reduce the false alarms, for example the camera I have at the bottom of my garden which shows the whole back of the house, I have set the detection area up as along the fences, at each side of the house and the roof but I have excluded the large folding sliding doors at the back of my house as I was finding that when I walked around my lounge at the back, it was triggering the sensor. It works okay but if someone walks down the side that make the dvr detect, it then records for about 4 seconds by which time, you are probably at the folding sliding doors (trying the break the lock) and it isn't recording any more. Can I inrease the time in which it records from the first time it detects a motion. I can't see any menu option for it and the manual doesn't seem to suggest anything.

I hope I have explained my problem enough

Thanks

Andy

Perhaps a pressure sensitive mat where they step on it, and it triggers the DVR to record?

There is no way to change the record time in seconds.

A note to others:

If you are using motion detection then make sure

MANUAL RECORD ENABLE says off

EVENT RECORD ENABLE says on

Detection menu page

DET column should say ON for each camera installed.

Scroll to area column then press enter button to go in to setup.

If it is pink then it is blocking (masking) motion

If it is clear then it is detecting motion

If storage is of the essence then install a larger size harddrive.

If you have not bought a DVR, and you are thinking about large storage, then buy the AVTech AVC783 (CPCam 503). This has a disk array connector allowing you to stack multiples of hard drives.

Many thanks Scorpion.

I have never really thought about permanent recording. The Drive I put in was either a 160 or 250gb so what kind of record record time will i get from that if I record constantly. I have 4 cameras at 25fps, the highest quality settings I could find.

If I record constantly, is it easy to search back to certain parts of the day or week. Usually I look at the log of trigger events and play from those. If its recording constantly, does it break these logs down to days/hours etc???

I would not record constantly, as I prefer motion detection.

I was identifying to make sure manual enable was off, and that motion is on.

I put those extra kinds of lines in my posts because your post will come up on someone else's Google Search, and they will be directed to your post, and this gives those individuals a little more info.

I have never really thought about permanent recording. The Drive I put in was either a 160 or 250gb so what kind of record record time will i get from that if I record constantly. I have 4 cameras at 25fps, the highest quality settings I could find.

4 days depending on other factors

I had similar issues with the same recorder at my home. If I used the motion detection I had so many events logged I couldn't find the ones where people activated them. Leaves blowing, rain, and even shadows moving activated it. What I ended up doing was leaving the motion detection on, but adding waterproof infrared sensors in the key areas. Both will activate the recording, but the sensors show up in the log as "alarm" so I can go right to the important event, but I still have the other "noise" events to see what happened before and after.

They connect up to the DB-25 connector. Make sure to connect them between the input and ground only, the docs aren't real clear on that.

I have a 500 gb hard drive in it, and I was getting 2 months+ of recording at highest quality, but it is pretty quiet around here.

Dave

I had similar issues with the same recorder at my home. If I used the motion detection I had so many events logged I couldn't find the ones where people activated them. Leaves blowing, rain, and even shadows moving activated it. What I ended up doing was leaving the motion detection on, but adding waterproof infrared sensors in the key areas. Both will activate the recording, but the sensors show up in the log as "alarm" so I can go right to the important event, but I still have the other "noise" events to see what happened before and after.

They connect up to the DB-25 connector. Make sure to connect them between the input and ground only, the docs aren't real clear on that.

I have a 500 gb hard drive in it, and I was getting 2 months+ of recording at highest quality, but it is pretty quiet around here.

Dave

Thanks Dave, thats a good idea although it will mean more wiring (

Something to do over the Christmas break though....two and a half weeks off )

Actually, you can increase the amount of time it records when the motion

detection trips, up to 40 seconds. If you can't figure it out, I can write a

quick description for you.

Actually, you can increase the amount of time it records when the motion

detection trips, up to 40 seconds. If you can't figure it out, I can write a

quick description for you.

That would be fantastic if you could as I can't find the option anywhere. Thanks in advance mate. I didn't get around to the other option and would save my bacon

Is it under ALERT and ALARM DURATION(SEC)? I searched the manual for "40" and this menu item was explained. I just didn't realise it was an alarm so maybe I've got the wrong setting. It was set to 5. I have set to 40 but can't test until tomorrow.