Sign in to follow this  
3RDIGLBL

Quick Question adding IP camera

Got a customer with a GV 1240 (8 Channel) who is maxed out with analog cameras. He's talking about putting an IP Camera on there and I told him he's maxed out.......he had a valid question and I'm asking here cause I'm really not possitive of the answer.......The IP camera is not a physically connected analog camera so really it's a function of the software at that point as to whether it will allow adding a 9th camera being the IP camera.

Am I right with the card being maxed or can I actually add additional cameras over the 8 already there via IP?

Yes, you can ad more cameras so long they are IP cameras and the brand is supported by the Geovision software and you have a license dongle. I think that with the newest software at the moment 8.2 you can have 8 analoge + 8 IP cameras with your customers card.

JD

Got a customer with a GV 1240 (8 Channel) who is maxed out with analog cameras. He's talking about putting an IP Camera on there and I told him he's maxed out.......he had a valid question and I'm asking here cause I'm really not possitive of the answer.......The IP camera is not a physically connected analog camera so really it's a function of the software at that point as to whether it will allow adding a 9th camera being the IP camera.

Am I right with the card being maxed or can I actually add additional cameras over the 8 already there via IP?

That's not correct actually. If your customer has an 8 channel card, then they can have a maximum of 4 IP cameras, and will have to reduce the number of analog cameras to 4. They would need a 16 channel analog card with 8 cameras on it, then they could add up to 8 IP cameras.

This may change in v8.3, but that's how it's done at the moment in 8.2.

That's not correct actually. If your customer has an 8 channel card, then they can have a maximum of 4 IP cameras, and will have to reduce the number of analog cameras to 4. They would need a 16 channel analog card with 8 cameras on it, then they could add up to 8 IP cameras.

Wow, that seems like a rather silly restriction of the software. Hope the intention isn't to force you into buying an 8-ch card.

Seriously?? Oh man. I already sent an email to the customer telling him the good news.

Didn't we used to have a Geovision contact on here? I forget his name, maybe he can provide us with an update on this.

I will test this later tonight if I have time!

JD

Seriously?? Oh man. I already sent an email to the customer telling him the good news.

Didn't we used to have a Geovision contact on here? I forget his name, maybe he can provide us with an update on this.

I can confirm that is wrong!

I just tested a GV-1120/8 + 1IP camera, 8 analogue cameras from channel 1 to 8 and the IP camera is on channel 9 on this 8 channel GV card! So I am pretty sure that you can have 8 + 8 on a 16 channel due the GUI, and if you have 16 channel card you can have 16 analogue or 15 analogue + 1 ip and so on.

The 8.3 is giving you a different GUI that will change this then you can have for instance 16 analogue and 16 ip cameras.

Hope this helps your heart & puls! hehe

JD

I can confirm that is wrong!

I just tested a GV-1120/8 + 1IP camera, 8 analogue cameras from channel 1 to 8 and the IP camera is on channel 9 on this 8 channel GV card! So I am pretty sure that you can have 8 + 8 on a 16 channel due the GUI, and if you have 16 channel card you can have 16 analogue or 15 analogue + 1 ip and so on.

The 8.3 is giving you a different GUI that will change this then you can have for instance 16 analogue and 16 ip cameras.

Hope this helps your heart & puls! hehe

JD

You are correct ! I tested it too. Also got confirmation from Geo that it can be done this way. They did initially say it had to be done the way I mentioned above, but seem to have changed their tune. Sorry for any panic caused !

yep, that's right.

You can have up to 8 IP streams (either from IP Camera or Video Server) on a GV Card - whether it is a 4, 8 12 or 16 channel.

BUT, just be aware that when connecting via something like MultiView you may not see the "extra" channels. You might need to add these to your MultiView "hosts" so you can view them together with the analogue.

Basically, an 8 channel card will act like an 8 channel card even if you are able to add another 8 ip cameras.

Course it'll change in 8.3....