Robert46

power cord markings

Need to identify the positive wire on the power cord for a Lorex Quad surveillance system. One wire has capacity markings the other a broken white line, similar to center line markings on highway. Thanks

I do not have a Lorex system therefore I cannot give you the answer.

It sounds like you have a wall transformer.

What are you trying to do?

Are you trying to extend the length of the wire by cutting it, and adding more wire to it?

If you are extending it, then connect the dashed line to the red wire, and the other side to the black wire. At the other end you can reattach this piece by the same pattern. Connect the red wire to the dashed line side, and the black wire to the other side.

Use all safety concerns, and ask for help from others who can give you proper guidance.

Yeah, most DC-output transformers I've seen, the white-striped wire is the positive... but that may not always be the case. A multimeter is your friend!

But as scorpion says, if you're extending the wire, as long as you match the colors at both ends of the extension, "real" polarity doesn't really matter.

hey Soundy! How are you doing!

Here is a tip Robert46:

When you cut off the plug in side, cut it back about 6 inches or so. If you mess up trying to strip the insulation off then you still have some room to spare.

Take a mulimeter, and set it for resistance testing, or continuity. Stick the red probe right in to the inside of the plug. The inside of the plug is the positive, and the outside is the ground.

With the black probe press it against one of the wires, it you get a measurement of 0 then you have the right wire. Look at the markings on the wire (or the lack there of). This is how you can truely identify which pair is the positive wire.

Note: do not measure for continuity, or resistance with the power side plug in. I know I did not need to say that, but .....