kraemer94

Help with buying a good CCTV system

Hello all I'm new to CCTV. I'm looking to get a good system for my home. alot of things been happen in my neighborhood lately. My budget is around $1600. I been reading, pricing defferent systems. What I'm looking for is outside day/nights cameras. I'm thinking two for front and two for the rear of my house. I found the NUVICO EV-4250N DVR and NUVICO CV-SD21N-L cameras. I have a two story house not much yard. In the front from house to street is about 40 to 50Ft. Rear house to fence is about 30FT to 40FT. Any help would be appreciated.

why not just use black & white cameras, much cheaper and you can spend more of your budget on the DVR!

you could use a token cheap colour only camera to ensure you know that someone's wearing a red jacket or a black jacket, but, for ID-ing people on a budget, etc, just go with B&W ,

for lighting at night, pick up a few real cheap 'bullet' cameras with IR LED's in, and don't hook up the video feeds, just use them as IR illuminators!!

For what you want to spend you might as well go to sam's club and buy the cheap system they sell because you will not get anything that will cover any more for that cheap. You will tell that someone is in the yard but you will not be able to tell who they are day or night. You are looking at good day night cams that have good picture quality at a round $600.00 each street price now go buy you a good dvr that has some good features lets say thats about $2000.00 street price as you see you are looking at very low end budget priced equipment. I hope this helps you. Like it is stated by others you get what you pay for.

Good advice crirvine.

As a professional I always prefer it when the DYIer goes ahead, buys the low end equipment & when they find they have images that are poor to unuseable they give me a call. At that point I know that they want good coverage and all the preliminaries are out of the way.

kraemer94, if this is a hobby-type thing knock yourself out & have a good time. If this is a protect your home and family type thing, go find a professional.

You pay a plumber to plumb, and an electrician to electrify. You should think about paying comm techs to comm.

Good advice crirvine.

As a professional I always prefer it when the DYIer goes ahead, buys the low end equipment & when they find they have images that are poor to unuseable they give me a call. At that point I know that they want good coverage and all the preliminaries are out of the way.

kraemer94, if this is a hobby-type thing knock yourself out & have a good time. If this is a protect your home and family type thing, go find a professional.

You pay a plumber to plumb, and an electrician to electrify. You should think about paying comm techs to comm.

Well I do my electrical work (lic electrician), pumping,auto work all myself. LOL. I build out computers /servers for a living now I like learning different things I just don't know to much about cameras. So I'm trying to read up on it and found this forum so just asking about some that I found.

Thanks for the reply.

kraemer94

I am not against the do it yourselfer. You have the skill to do the job just not equipment knowledge. All I am saying is buy mid range or better equipment so you do not spend your money on a system you are not happy with.

1.Quality and length of storage on the dvr.

2.The area and light conditions that are to be viewed.

3.Do I want the video to be good quality at night low light.

4.How long will the coax runs be 12dc or 24ac cameras.

kraemer94 these are the things you need to work out then build a budget on what type of system you want. Not what can I get for this money if you buy low end you will never be happy.

Here's what I have:

1 Intellicam JS-16RTA D1 (very nice)

3 Speco 7706DNV cameras (spendy, good in daylight)

1 Speco 7815DNV camera (more spendy, good in daylight)

4 Nuvico CB-SD21N-L cameras (great performance for the $, better at Night than the Speco's)

1 Intellicam G4-HPV540 camera (cheap $, but good for close range coverage)

1 Altronix R2416600ULCB rack mount power supply (very nice, but heavy)

The Speco's are slightly better than the Nuvicos in the day and the Nuvicos are better than the Specos at night. The Speco's are twice the $$. The Intellicam camera was cheap, but works well in my application of close range coverage of my front porch.

I'm sure from the professional's point of view all this stuff is considered mid to low end, but it meets my needs perfectly. I wish I have a couple of PTZ's, but those are spendy. I installed it all myself. Once at one location and once at my current location.

I agree with the others, don't get the big box stuff. Not good.

Enjoy.

Glenn

If you're a tinkerer, and you enjoy it (as I do), you could experiment with a few things until you figure out exactly what you want. I've probably gone through eight or nine different cameras of various types (including WDR, PTZ, bullets, domes, coverts, intensifiers) in setting up and experimenting on my own system.

I'm on my second dedicated DVR/server, and I'm probably going to get a third one (PC-based).

I've gone through any number of IR illuminators (did a review on a bunch of them in one of the forums here).

I've enjoyed every minute of it.

Unless you want to pay a professional (and it's definitely worth it if you're not into tinkering), you could do every bit of it yourself.