34Ford

Client software or Browser based?

I have been using a 4ch stand alone dvr for several years and now I want a 8ch.

Looking around on the net for one I stumbled on a site that has one capable of letting me view thru it that uses IE activex instead of me installing software.

Seems to me this would be a positive feature if I were away from home and couldn't get to my own computer. Just use any computer with IE and activex.

Also I would have go around installing software on systems thats not mine, like at work.

However personally I like Firefox but it would need a plug in, and it could be flaky.

Is this new? And I suppose you can still use software to view a dvr that has this ability?

Dennis

Now I am confused. One business I emailed said all of his dvr's are capable of just using your browser.

Is this true to any dvr that is internet ready weather you use client software or browser with activeX?

quick and dirty answer is:

1. mjpg is an open standard and can typically be used with any browser that supports the codec including firefox. you lose audio with this method but keep ptz.

2. activex is the defacto standard for newer codecs such as mpeg4/h.264. it includes audio but usually uses a media player where you may lose ptz functionality (not always the case of course; depends of the software involved). it has been a quick and easy way to implement these licensed codecs. since the majority of the world has been using windows/IE most manufacturers chose to support activex for these codecs. it is really not required (you could use quicktime plugin just as easily) but MS has ruled the pc world for some time now so it was easiest to go with IE and activex. obviously things are changing these days and there are some newer codecs coming out with support from other media players so we'll see what gets implemented in the next few years. you will find niche manufacturers/3rd party developers getting into this area for non activex support. it's already starting.

And the answer is: "Yes, no, maybe, it depends."

Some DVRs will only allow remote access through their own client software. Some only support browser access. Some support both, and some support neither.

IN GENERAL, from my experience, client software tends to be better-featured and less troublesome than browser-based viewing... but again, that will depend on a number of factors, starting with the DVR itself. One system I've used, for example, the client software only works properly on a LAN connection, and you have to use browser viewing for WAN/internet connections (or do some serious hacking to make the client work that way).

The only salient advice here is to talk to the DVR manufacturer(s), ask them which method they support (if either, or both), and ask for a demo if possible, and determine which will work best for your specific needs.

Well I bought a 8ch that is capable of doing both. So far so good.

I just this morning tried out IE here at work and it looks good considering the camera is looking thru the window screen. This is temporary.

Now I need to make a username and password other than admin/admin.

If I wanted to let someone view my cameras using IE I cant setup a guest username /password can I?

Or could it be done thru my router? Hum.....

Once again, support of guest accounts would depend on your specific DVR and whether it provides that feature. I don't think most routers support that sort of access (some provide limited access to their own configuration pages for user accounts, but that's all I've ever seen).

Its does. I just found in settings while viewing I have the ability to set guests so they can view only.

This is nice.

And I haven't even installed the client software yet. Im sure it will be even better.

This is going to be so handy while Im away from home and if my security alarms I will be able to see if there is a reason to bust ass to get back or just call the sheriff and let him deal with it.

Oh while Im here this whole IP address stuff had me completely beat trying to figure it out.

What was missing in most of the docs I was reading is you want your IP address Charter gives me at my modem.

Then setup the router to forward to the dvr.

Its so simple now.

Yea, I have used them so I can fly x-plane with friends.

Problem I had was the docs I was reading didn't explain about how to use your outside IP once you knew it to setup my dvr.

But now Im good.

Now if the client software I got was worth a crap I would be real happy.

It seems like every software I use it a bad port over from Chinese.