masterofnone

Night time lightning-like distortions

I have a couple different brands of cheap cameras with day and IR capability. The day pictures are perfect. For the most part, the night time pictures are ok but there are these distortions that look like lightning or lighted rain or something that occaisionally creep in. It messes up my surveillance. Here's a couple pictures with and without the distortions:

59839578592177.jpg.bff973e2da1a237ee7b54baa3288cfe5.jpg

59839578911101.jpg.5534256eaee6bc70bd1ed83392e4d420.jpg

Hi,

I assume by what you said in your post that all cameras are having this issue?? If so, I suspect a power issue. If they are all powered from the same source, I would review the video and see if they all have this interference at the same time. If this is the case, try powering a single camera separate from the rest of the system and see if the problem clears. If it does, it's the power supply.

We may need additional info to help you. What type of cable, cat 5 or coax?

Also, one other question... Are these wireless cameras?? Thought I would ask because if they are, it becomes a little more difficult to pin point.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Hi,

I assume by what you said in your post that all cameras are having this issue?? If so, I suspect a power issue. If they are all powered from the same source, I would review the video and see if they all have this interference at the same time. If this is the case, try powering a single camera separate from the rest of the system and see if the problem clears. If it does, it's the power supply.

We may need additional info to help you. What type of cable, cat 5 or coax?

Also, one other question... Are these wireless cameras?? Thought I would ask because if they are, it becomes a little more difficult to pin point.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

I am using coax cable bought from Radio Shack. I got the cables from the audio section if that makes a difference. I then have to use a bnc to RCA converter because the DVR board has RCA connectors. I do not know if the cables are solid copper core or not. If you have recommendations for a source for cables I would probably order new ones.

There are 3 cameras. Each camera has it's own 12vdc transformer. One camera does not seem to have the problem but it doesn't have as many IR LEDs.

I think you are right about it possibly being a power issue, Mike. After reading hundreds of posts on this forum I would be inclined to agree with you. Specifically not enough power. That would explain why the day pictures are rock solid and the night pictures have the problem - because the IR LEDs kick in. I guess it's still somewhat of a mystery as to why 4 or 5 frames will be ok and then the 6th one will be all messed up.

I'm attaching another picture with lots of the distortions.

1935042187279.jpg.7929190297768b61ce9b165745425abf.jpg

WOW! I have to admit I have never seen that type of interference. That's extreme.

OK, now that we have determined that this interference is common with all cams that have seperate power sources, we can move on. Typically when I encounter a camera that lacks the amps to power the IR's, the camera's IR's will not come on at all. Hmmmmmm

What is the power requirements of the cams and do the supplies meet that requirement?? I don't know, very strange. Not all that convinced yet about a power issue.

Trial and error here. Several things I would do next. In an effort to eliminate a cable issue, bring a cam inside and connect to your DVR. Simulate a night condition and see if you get the interference. If you do, then take it one step further and eliminate the DVR and connect the cam directly to a TV if you can. By doing so, you are eliminating the possible causes. Just insure before you go through all this that the power supplies are capable of handling the current draw. Oh and one more thing, are they regulated power supplies?? Very important!!

Thanks

Mike

Camera with onboard IRs will do that in rain/snow/dust.

I'll wager a small amount of money that the strange effect in the first pic (where the blob is see-through and overlapping, creating a whiter spot in the middle) is the result of an interlaced Full D1 image that shows a raindrop falling past the lens lit up by the onboard IR LEDs. The image is captured in two individual frames (that make up the single D1 image) - and although the individual frames are taken only a split-second apart, the raindrop has moved. This effect is more pronounced on fast-moving objects closer to the lens - and pausing the image makes it ten times worse! Any takers?

You options are to mount the camera under an eave where it won't see the rain so close... Or to use a separate IR source that is mounted a couple feet away from the camera.

Very well stated!!!!

As soon as I hit the submit button, it hit me. That's rain or snow. I suspect snow blowing by the camera as it does appear in the first picture that there is snow on the ground.

Terrific help. Thank you very much.

I guess it didn't make sense to me that it would be snow/rain since I thought I had seen it when there was none. But now that you've explained it I assume it was an occaisional blowing snow flake.

That leaves me with a little bit of a problem since I can't put the cameras under an eve (they are on a dog house). It also wouldn't be possible to mount a separate IR source since this is a low budget operation and I haven't seen any low budget outdoor cameras with night vision but without built-in IR.

I guess I'll have to live without the email surveillance capability. If something happens I'll merely have to go back and review the thousands of video clips made if the event occurs when it's raining/snowing.

Jim Young

Hi Jim,

Sorry to send you down the road of a possible power issue but like I said, as soon as I hit the submit button I realized.

I'm sure this thread will help others out there that may have wondered as well ( but were afraid to ask )

Glad we were able to help

Thanks

Mike