shoreviewsecurity

Remote Access To DVR Using Cellular Service??????

Hello Everyone and Happy New Year!!

I need some advice from the experts. All of my applications have utilized a wired Interent connection for my customers to access their systems remotely. I have a customer who DOES NOT have access to either DSL or broadband. This customer has just acquired this property and the system they did have was a PC based system with geovision, The PC no longer works but they said the original owner used a Verizon Aircard. My experience with an aircard is that it will not hold the connection and will time out from non use. Has anyone had any luck with this type of remote access and if not, can you point me in the right direction?

I don't have an issue with using a PC based system if this will work. Has anyone used a Satellite connection? My understanding with satellite is you need a phone connection to interact with the PC?? Remember, no phone service is available. Very remote, I'm talking almost off the grid remote.

Oh, and I need to add... They have several PTZ cameras so interaction is critical. I know You want remote access AND control the PTZ's???????

Thanks

Mike

Thanks for the reply... I was starting to wonder

The PC on site does have a PCI slot. At one time I also had an aircard for my laptop but it would time out after none use thus my concern. So you are saying this will not time out?? Or with this configuration only, it will keep the connection alive?? And you are right, the FPS will suffer but that's OK as long as they can see something. I have already warned them of that.

Maybe it's a Verizon thing as far as timing out. That's the service I had. No experience with AT&T's aircard stuff.

Again, thanks for the reply. I do appreciate it.

Mike

Mike, you might want to tweak the aircard's MTU and RWIN.

Out of the box settings don't always work the best.

DSLReports has an easy to use set of tools to test and tweak.

To establish a baseline first run a: *Speed Test

Next, do a tweak test: *Tweak Test

*(requires java and or flash)

Your end result should look something like this.

http://www.dslreports.com/tweakr/block:2c543bf?service=dsl&speed=6000&os=winXP&via=routerpppoe

Thanks for the reply and information. Once again, will this "connection" time out??

As I mentioned, the Verizon Aircard I had before would time out. I will use the tools as recommended.

Have you used this type of set up?? I hate to deploy only to have to visit the site to re-establish a connection

Thanks again!

Mike

Thanks for the reply and information. Once again, will this "connection" time out??

You'll have to "look" at the actual network connection to see what's going on.

Commercial wireless networks are configured for reliable QOS .

Network connections timing out can be on either side of the equation..

As I mentioned, the Verizon Aircard I had before would time out. I will use the tools as recommended.

Have you used this type of set up?? I hate to deploy only to have to visit the site to re-establish a connection

I've used EVDO for internet but not for streaming video of any kind.

Network QOS on site needs to be established before we can determine any solutions.

If you're at the shop I can call if you'd like to discuss it or need any pointers in using the tests/tweaks.. I've been needing to call with a question anyway.

More information on tweaking your TCP stack to find your best MTU.

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks/MTU

The idea is to optimize your network throughput in an attempt to take your configuration out of the equation of troubleshooting network connectivity.

The results can both compensate for QOS network issues you have no control over that could be causing time outs and often results in a faster connection.

They also have a handy tool, Dr, TCP, to adjust the various settings so you don't have to muck around in the registry.

I'd recommend anyone who works (or plays) with broadband to use these tools, the results can be amazing.

http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

94602_1.gif

It was a pleasure talking with you on the phone tonight. You really know what you are talking about and thanks for spending the time with me explaining what I will need to do.

Awesome!!!!

I will keep in touch.

Thanks so much again!!!!!!!

Mike