SNG

Secured Wireless

Have to install temporary in a house security camera's which will be monitored 24 hours. Can't make holes in the walls for just a couple of weeks. For that reason I am thinking to use wireless camera's. Privacy, and for security matters, is it very important that the wireless signals are secured and can't be received by other people. Is their a way to secure the video signal so that we only can receive it and not someone else?

thanks in advance...

Axis 207MW has a good password scheme that will keep others from viewing. You can also "mask" your SSID by turning the broadcast of it off after you getthings running. And, tighten your router settings so no IP's beyond the one you needed are DHCP'd.

you can enguage the security settings beyond the above but I've found it's not normally necessary. But you can do it if it makes your wheels turn smoother...............

^All good advice. Alternately, could you get away with temporary surface-wire runs to the cameras? A piece of four-conductor station wire will suffice - one pair for power, one for video using baluns. Wire can be tucked around baseboards, slipped under area rugs, tacked up with staples or even pushpins (yeah, I've seen this done... not done it myself, but I've seen it work)...

^All good advice. Alternately, could you get away with temporary surface-wire runs to the cameras? A piece of four-conductor station wire will suffice - one pair for power, one for video using baluns. Wire can be tucked around baseboards, slipped under area rugs, tacked up with staples or even pushpins (yeah, I've seen this done... not done it myself, but I've seen it work)...
Problem is that we do already on this moment, mostly with gaffer tape... and it takes us to much time.

Our CCTV system must be very mobile as we move each 2 days to a new location. We can't use any external experts as our work is high confidential to protect the safety of our clients. We using now an analog wired system, works great but takes hours to build up and to many wires. It's hard to hide cameras away.

With a wireless system I expect to have our system quicker operational and to hide the cams, it will benefit the safety of our clients a lot! Of course all transmissions have to be scrambled or secured to maintain the safety. That is my biggest concern. Can't accept if someone else can tap in and see what we know or doing...

So any help is more then welcome...

I would suggest using video over power line. You can use AM/FM clock radios, air purifiers, mantel clocks, ect, ect.

There are no wires to run. The video goes down the electrical wire to the electrical plug, and then you "retrieve" the video from another electrical socket.

Great for "plug, and play". Great for hotel stings while you are in the side suite ready for the take down.

I do not know the why, or the how you are doing your "job". Do you need someone to view a monitor to watch the video, or do you only need the documentation, and then review later?

There are products about the size of cigarette packs that have a camera, and record to SD. You can place these all around the interior of a house, hotel, commerial office ect.

You can move the recorders to the next location, and then pop in new SD cards while reviewing the recorded SD cards.

If you need more info then let me know. I will PM you, and this will allow you to PM me.

What do you think?

^That's a good idea... and if you're using IP cameras, there are IP-over-power devices available as well (I think the ones I've seen at Staples are made by LinkSys).

I would suggest using video over power line. You can use AM/FM clock radios, air purifiers, mantel clocks, ect, ect.
That would be cool by power line... is it a problem when the power lines are divided on different groups? Can we then still receive in the side room the signal? It is not uncommon that hotels using for each room a seperate power group...

Sure something to dig deeper into of it.

Do you need someone to view a monitor to watch the video, or do you only need the documentation, and then review later?
We have someone monitor the screens 24/24 and will inform us when necessary. CVR is for us not a solution.

thanks

For those doing body guard, child predator stings, LE take downs, and PI work on the fly then you can also build bird houses around your cameras, and use a 4X4 post to temp mount them in the front yard, and back yard.

Paint the bird house a teal, or a brick red. Then paint a layer of crackle paint. When the crackle paint is dry then paint another layer with a mixture of 50/50 white paint, and water. As soon as the 50/50 mixture is painted on then it will start to crack, and peel.

This will give it an aged look. This way your birdhouse is not a freshly painted object that just magically appeared. Being weathered, and "old" those who live in the area may just assume that they never paid attention to it before. You need to match the device to the environment. Here in Florida we have pump house to hide the pumps used for sprinkler systems.

A couple of fake PVC pipes pointed toward the ground, and the effect is great. Now just point the pump house, or dog house in the direction needed. Do not forget the dog bowls!

You can hide the transmitters in there as well.

You can over come the branch circuit issue, but I will not divulge how here in the open on the forum.

Also I use a transmitter, and a receiver tester. I plug in the XMTR where my camera is going, and I plug the RCVR where my surveillance recording will be, and then I can see my "signal level". You may have to use filters to weed out noise on the line. The tester is not cheap though, but it is worth it!

If buying wireless devices then avoid 300 feet line of sight, go for the 1000 feet line of sight. 300 feet line of sight is about 100 milliwatts, or a child's walkie talkie. Use real power!

Make sure they have heatsinks. They will get very hot when used. You will have to decide if you want fans on them or not. Will the fans be heard?