Tesseract

3 cameras across 130' of parking lot

Hey folks - second post here.

Got an apartment complex where a bunch of gates need to be monitored. It just so happens that I can cover all of the gates with cameras mounted on two buildings, but those buildings are 130' apart with a concrete parking lot in between them. We've gotten bids from "professionals" that want to do directional boring underneath the entire parking lot. That's pretty much a non-starter just from permitting fees alone (~$5000 and 3-6 months). I figure there must be a good wireless link that can be used in this sort of situation. We would prefer to use analog cameras (better quality for the money) and avoid the 2.4GHz spectrum because there are at least 16 Wi-Fi networks active in the complex (and who knows how many microwave ovens, which operated at 2.45GHz usually).

I was considering using, for example, a 1.2GHz 1.5W 8-channel transmitter/receiver pair from pinecomputer (link not posted) for each of the 3 cameras. I figure with 8 selectable channels I ought to be able to find 3 that don't interfere with each other (two of the cameras will be mounted neat to each other and the third will be about 75' away).

The budget for this is fairly flexible given the alternative

if you are going wireless go digital (ip cameras)... i have done several analog wireless and you will get a picture but you will also get interference - snow, grainy pic, etc -- ill take a clear picture with less frame rate over high frame rate and crap picture any day

if you have line of sight go with 5.8GHz, if you don't go 900mHz - avalan has a nice product that shouldn't kill ur budget

my 2cents

after 5 years of hanging onto analog solutions I going more Megapixel IP these days, but not completely

if you are going wireless go digital (ip cameras)...

Funny you should mention that.. I was coming to the same conclusion myself.

Charlie at Wireless Network Products suggested combining the 3 IP cameras with a switch then using a pair of 5.8GHz wireless APs to make a bridge over to the other building. Now I need to find a good Network Video Recorder and a router/gateway to connect to a good cable modem.

Complicated stuff, but it sure beats directional boring underneath 130' of concrete.

[quote=

We've gotten bids from "professionals" that want to do directional boring underneath the entire parking lot.

Hello, where are you located city and state? We specalize in long range Wireless video equipment. Are you doing the work yourself and/or open for bids?

Thank you