Troy Lewis

Panasonic CP-484 wiring

I have a new CP-484. I bought a housing with blower and heater. I am wanting to get a 24vac adapter for my setup. The thing is that on the camera paper work it showes 3 wires for 24vac. It has 1+ 1- and then a ground. All the adapters I have seen are only 2 wire. Also the paper work for the camera states not to use a power adapter over 10VA. So does this mean that I will have to run 1 adapter for the camera and 1 for the housing.

Thanks

Troy

Also the paper work for the camera states not to use a power adapter over 10VA. So does this mean that I will have to run 1 adapter for the camera and 1 for the housing.

Thanks

Troy

I don't have a clue why they would specify that. We never have a problem running a single power cable for both the camera and the heater/blower. Just make sure you provide sufficient power to handle the camera plus the heater/blower plus at least some safety margin. Make sure your wire gauge is sufficient to handle the total load with a safety margin and make sure your power supply is fused to handle the maximum load the equipment can draw plus a safety margin too.

We typically power outdoor PTZ cameras with heater/blowers with 3-1/2 amps fusing and at least 14/2 power cable on suitable Altronix power supplies (ALTV2416300 or ALTV2416600 for multiple outdoor PTZ's).

Despite Panasonic's recommendations, grounding the camera is asking for ground loop problems unless you run the ground wires all the way back to the monitoring location and totally insulate the camera from contact with any local grounds. Those specs are probably legalese required for UL or CSA certification. The UL and CSA aren't concerned about ground loops and poor video; they are mainly concerned with electric shock hazards.

I've never seen a camera spec state NOT to use a power supply over a certain power rating (then again, of all the CP-484s I've installed, I don't know that I've ever read the manual other than for setup menu info). You sure it doesn't say that the camera doesn't REQUIRE over 10VA, or something else to that effect?

That said, all my 484 installs have been indoor, so I've never had to put one in an environmental housing, for all the many cameras I've had installed in heater/blower housings, I just run a single power pair into the housing, then usually into the heater/blower connectors, and run a set of jumper wires from there to the camera. Hasn't failed me yet.

Check the specs on the heater/blower, but I'd think a 40VA would be more than sufficient to run both the housing accouterments, and the camera.

You sure it doesn't say that the camera doesn't REQUIRE over 10VA, or something else to that effect?

No. I found the manual on-line and here's what it says on Page 3 (emphasis mine):

Cautions:

1. The installation should be made by qualified service personnel or system installers.

2. The connections should comply with the National Electrical Code (NEC 725-51).

3. ONLY CONNECT THIS TO A 24 V AC CLASS 2 POWER SUPPLY. Be sure to connect

the grounding lead to the GND terminal. (for WV-CP484)

4. To prevent fire or electric shock hazard, use a UL listed cable (VW-1, style 1007) for

the Input Terminal. (for WV-CP484)

5. Do not use a transformer larger than 10 VA. (for WV-CP484)

Wow. Um... yeah... wow. I don't get that - does that mean I can't use a multi-channel 100+VA Altronix or Pelco or something? That's really weird. I wonder why they say that?

I think most of them I've put in are sharing a 24/40 wall wart with another camera (we usually have them spec'd for things like ID shots aimed at bad backlighting situations).

I should see if I can find out why they specify that... now I'm curious!

It could be a mis-translation from Japanese? I could understand if they stated "Do not use a transformer smaller than 10 VA", but not larger.

It kind of reminds me of some old 1960's Panasonic Service manuals we had when I used to work for Radio Shack: "Please to be putting the wire to the attachment place."

I called Panasonic about this. The tec told me the reason that they state no more than 10va is because the camera pulls such a small load that if you go to big it can cause a voltage spike. He said that he dont think a bigger one would damage it. I also ask about the ground. He said he cant tell me not to hook it up but dont.

I called Panasonic about this. The tec told me the reason that they state no more than 10va is because the camera pulls such a small load that if you go to big it can cause a voltage spike. He said that he dont think a bigger one would damage it.

Pretty much all fixed cameras pull approximately the same load (approximately 5-7VA) and they don't cause voltage spikes on larger power supplies so I fail to understand their logic.

I also ask about the ground. He said he cant tell me not to hook it up but dont.

That's because the UL and CSA require the ground be specified for manufacturers to obtain certification. The UL and CSA don't understand CCTV and ground loop issues.