Here are some random stills from my EchoVue 404, 4 channel DVR w/ 500GB Maxtor. Set to motion with 40 sec buffer, each cam around 20 fps.

Currently have 3 cams set-up. Front Door cam is a HT-8WMTDV Speco Dome 580TVL, cam2 is a Speco HEAT series bullet CVC-7705DNV, cam3 is a small silver bullet - unknown brand.

Still tweaking them.

Seem to get a great image on the dome camera at night with just the outside light on, it cannot utilize infrared but has excellent resolution. However, I need to find a good medium in the iris setting because its bringing in too much light during the day.

Camera 2- Driveway- has Speco 470TVL. Day/Night camera. I have it mounted near motion activated floods to light up the area. However the IRs do very well in complete darkness.

Camera 3 - I was told is a Speco but I'm not sure. It has no name on it. It is a small silver bullet with infrared. Just a temporary cam for now.

See attached stills. Any recommendations/comments welcome!

Snap_Jan_12_(17_16)-000.jpg.1f0b0be688f7d1601a32ec46f6dc1043.jpg

Snap_Jan_12_(05_48)-000.jpg.88c0fc53b3e0d483a87d088f7a0fa16a.jpg

speco580_night.jpg.6f5cd717496dfbe618678d7018c7e79b.jpg

Hey flasecurity,

Thanks for the images. Looks like a good setup.

However, having worked as a video surveillance planner for the past 10 years, I can only advise you to choose the area your cameras are watching very wisely. It is not only necessary to think about where a potential burglar might come from or where he might enter the house, but also where he most likely would be caught on camera in (ideally) a full frontal shot.

Without knowing the footprint of your house, I can only guess, but to me it looks like one of the two parking lot cameras should be relocated to some other place like another window or similar place which could be a potential entry point to your house.

Just a thought!

Just a random thought, is there some particular reason for running a *FORTY SECOND* buffer? At that point you may as well just set for constant record...

With a 40 sec buffer I am guaranteed to get video before and after motion is detected. With a constant record as you mention, I would not be able to record for as many hours in total than using a motion recording with a buffer. For instance, during the night there may be no motion. What would be the point in recording constantly?

Just a random thought, is there some particular reason for running a *FORTY SECOND* buffer? At that point you may as well just set for constant record...

That's what I'm saying, what's the point of recording 40 seconds of nothing happening leading up to something triggering the motion? In my experience, 3-5s is usually sufficient, and 10s is the MOST I've ever needed to set.

It must be my dvr. With a 40 sec buffer I am just getting a few seconds before motion and after motion. I've tried adjusting the motion sensitivity but I think it comes down to the capabilities of my DVR.

If I set the standard 8 sec. (or even higher), I'll miss pre-recording motion.

That's what I'm saying, what's the point of recording 40 seconds of nothing happening leading up to something triggering the motion? In my experience, 3-5s is usually sufficient, and 10s is the MOST I've ever needed to set.