racintyler

Searching for Rugged Multi-Channel Solid State DVR.. help!

I am searching for a DVR that records to memory cards and can do at least 2 channels, although I'd love to find one that does 4. Budget is under 2k for the recorder. The application is offroad racing, so obviously I can't use a more affordable HDD recorder.

So far my best bets were the Chasecam PDR100 and the Datatoys XM-DVR Pro. Chasecam is more affordable but seems to have mixed reviews. Datatoys has the better reviews and 2-channel recorder, but to get 4 channels I'd have to go over budget and get their Multi-View Quattro-b PIP processor, way more than I can afford to spend.

After some research I thought maybe I'd try my luck with some advice here. Are there any comparable alternatives??

Thanks!

Hmm, have you considered just a couple good old-school camcorders? I know it's not as sexy, but they're probably a lot more robust.

Or you could do what a friend of mine did in his race car, and just mount a small digital point'n'shoot camera up between the seats... one that has a good video mode and supports really large SDHC cards should give you tons of recording, and they aren't bothered by a few bumps. Pick up two or three older used cameras for cheap and you're good to go!