ammaan

IP Camera and video transmission over ethernet

Hello All,

i want to know how Video is transmitted over the Ethernet, what are the protocols related to video over Ethernet.

Also i want to know what is IP camera?different features of the IP camera

or any other Basic detail of the IP camera???

thanx

Ammaan

You are asking someone to write you a book . Here is a bit to get you started....

In the simplest form, the camera has a web browser and sends over its UI and images using HTTP (or https for secure connections).

In another form, say in a Mobotix camera, it is able to open any Windows share (SMB) and write directly onto it. So this is SMB over TCP.

Yet another way is using ftp.

And there are schemes using streaming protocols such as RTSP.

In other words, there is no single standard for shipping the bits over. It all depends on the camera and usage mode.

I suggest going to the web site of the camera company and downloading their manuals. There, you see all the configuration parameters. Start with Axis, ACTi, Mobotix, Arecount. These are the ones that I know have manuals to download.

thanx your for reply,

Actually i am very confused, from where to start to get the knowledge about video over Ethernet.

Wikipedia provide some knowledge. But i need some more technical detail about IP camera output video format.

thanx once again

Ammaan

thanx your for reply,

Actually i am very confused, from where to start to get the knowledge about video over Ethernet.

Wikipedia provide some knowledge. But i need some more technical detail about IP camera output video format.

thanx once again

Ammaan

The wiki doesn't say much unfortunately. Again, best advice is to go to a camera company web site and download both operational and SDK documentation. There you will find everything you are asking about, assuming you have decent knowledge of computers, networking and video.

For now, here is a bit more on what I post:

1. Video format. The core compression is either MJPEG, MPEG-4 or H.264 (ala MPEG-4 AVC) with the latter being rather new. MJPEG is just JPEG repeated so many times per second (M stands for "Motion"). The other two are what the standards say they are.

2. The transport layer is what I described before. Let's say you just want to see JPEG images. There, you are using the web browser to talk to the integrated web browser in the camera which formats an HTML page for control and embeds the JPEG images.

3. Application layer. For more sophisticated control and/or to support propriatary formats, all the camera companies supply ActiveX controls (programs which run inside the browser). The program then is able to do specialized things like better control, playback of video using higher performance pipeline, etc. Some give you the SDK interface so that you can write your own application like these.

4. DVR software. This is a security management software. Some camera companies provide these, others rely on third-parties.

Hope this gets you started....