Sign in to follow this  
friedbrains

1Gig or 10Gig?

we are looking at massive 1250+ cameras all hybrid with analog and ip capabilities...

network design is a prime importance...

we are having like 55+ of "Access" Switch connected via fiber with our strategically distributed "Distributor" switches across (physically) the LAN, which in turn will be connected to the "Central" Switch in the Main Equipment Room...

2 vendors are saying 1 gig (actually 2 Gig) should be enough for the Distributors to the Central, but one vendor came and said it wont be enough as you need at least 10 Gig...

anyone having this experience?

BTW, our iSCSI recorders will be connected directly on the Distributor Switches and the Cameras are direct on the Access Switches, the iSCSI are recording via the "traffic control" of our VRM Servers, quite a few of them as well...

overall bandwidth depends on the codec used to stream. I am not the expert here but I just installed 12 IP cams on a 100meg and they streamed in at 30meg....30% of the 100meg card on the NVR. Using that number and your number...you'll need a bit over 3gig to stream all those cams at once.

I use a neat trick to figure out my bandwidth usage. I use Task Manager to monitor the network card with and without streaming. Pretty basic number but it provided me with the raw facts vice the product specs. You can do this from any PC or Server.

If the NVR is a standalone...................back to guessing as I suspect most don't have any way to monitor bandwidth. BUT, you can connect from a PC to a IP cam or device and get the Task Manager numbers and then multiply that as required to get a rough figure.

Keep in mind that motion will effect bandwidth.lack of it creates low bandwidth..............lots of motion.....high bandwidth.