cglaeser

why is auto tracking so rare in IP PTZ cameras?

IP cameras often contain a processor capable of motion detection. Why is auto tracking so rare in IP PTZ cameras? A good example is the Axis 215, which appears to be a fine compact PTZ, but does not include auto tracking. Although auto tracking could be done by the server, the lag time and increased load on the server make this a less-than-ideal solution. And, it's not like these vendors have not already solved this problem in another model (e.g. Axis 233D supports auto tracking). Why isn't this code/feature included with other models?

Best,

Christopher

IP cameras often contain a processor capable of motion detection. Why is auto tracking so rare in IP PTZ cameras? A good example is the Axis 215, which appears to be a fine compact PTZ, but does not include auto tracking. Although auto tracking could be done by the server, the lag time and increased load on the server make this a less-than-ideal solution. And, it's not like these vendors have not already solved this problem in another model (e.g. Axis 233D supports auto tracking). Why isn't this code/feature included with other models?

Best,

Christopher

Autotracking requires complex analytics. Especially if you want to do more than follow the largest moving object, or want to actually zoom at the same time. The analytics have some pretty beefy hardware requirements.

I'm fairly certain the 233D only pan/tilts around to follow the largest moving object(not terribly useful in most applications.). If I'm wrong please correct me. I've had to sell Analytics software for autotracking before with those units.

And finally, Autotracking works best if used in conjunction with stationary cameras that "hand-off" information on a scene to the PTZ. Another hardware intensive analytic process.

Check out Panasonic, although their Analog PTZ has better auto-tracking than the IP version.

From my understanding a IP version of the WVCW974(advanced autotracking PTZ) should be released within the next 6 months.