itsmo

Video over Powerline?

Hi, I'm new here. Be gentle!

I am building my first surveillance system for our small apartment building, as we have limited means to secure against burglary and we've been hit several times.

One [hidden] camera location is just not very conducive to running cabling to the DVR, but there is AC power accessible, and its on the same leg as my apartment - has worked with X10 devices before.

Is there a "video over powerline" module that works well, for one camera, with a composite input? (Ethernet would require a bulkier, more conspicuous camera).

My 20-year experience with "powerline"-like devices is that most burn out, sometimes in a month, sometimes a year, but few last very long. So I don't mind buying used or old stock if anyone here has been running one successfully for several years.

Thanks for your advice.

I have been using X10 for 15 years or so, and am very familiar with it. I also have a video over powerline security camera system, that is pretty reliable, and reasonably in expensive.

Lukwerks by Wilife uses cameras that have 433 mgz(if I remember right) processor in each camera that compresses the video and sends it on the powerline to the powerline adapter which retrieves the video and sends it via USB into your computer. You can set up motion detection up to 16 different areas per camera, and then you can have motion detection send you a text e-mail, snapshot, or video clip. Or save to your hard drive. Believe me when I tell you there is not a easier system to set up. I had mine sending a picture to my computer within 15 minutes of receiving it in the mail. All you need is AC. We moved to New Mexico in December, but attached is a picture of my five camera(you can have up to 6), system that I had in Michigan. We had a break in there last summer. He broke in the window of the pool room on the deck side. From there, he opened up the kitchen window, and crawled in over the sink. The kitchen camera is a Lukwerks "spy" camera. It looks like a clock, and is IR sensitive. It was the neighbor kid, and he never knew he was being recorded.

I have a X10 motion sensor on the basement steps, that triggers a "welcome" from the speaker I have installed in the basement. We think this spooked him, because all he took was a handful of change I had. I gave the parents a copy of the recording on CD that clearly showed their kid breaking in. I didn't call the cops, I could see they were really embarrassed, and I believe they took care of it themselves. I never saw their kid around after that.

Before I got the system, I was concerned there would be powerline collisions, or noise as X10 uses the powerline also. Not a problem, they use different frequencies.

Cost for the starter system, which includes one camera, the USB powerline adapter, and the software on CD, was about $280. Amazon sells it, as does a lot of other places. Each additional camera is between $175, and $250, depending on which one you get.

I have a hi-speed PTZ IP wireless dome camera on my roof now, which I just put in, but I have also installed the Lukwerks system too. BTW, you have remote access with the Lukwerks, hosted on the Wilife site. It's free of charge too. Only thing I don't like is, They want to charge you $75 per year to use the digital PTZ features of the camera(s). I won't ever do that, but I suppose some people do.

This is a great solution for someone who doesn't want to run cable.

Also attached is a current picture of the Lukwerks on the front of the house here in New Mexico at night, with the front lights on.

1344236427_5campic3-5-08.JPG.df4dc3324575b2f7e7e62c7210d73d9c.JPG

227760584_lukwerkscamera2-14-09.jpg.3814db3cc58280c87e5d04f188cc804a.jpg